Time to open Application

So being very new to ROON I would like to know when I open it on my PC running Windows 10 it can take between 5-10 minutes or longer to fully open, is this normal or do I need to change a setting? My PC runs great and with any other applications except ROON.

Don’t see any answer to my question

You need to allow some time to get a response. The support folks will get to you as soon as they can and they will need more information.

You should provide a more detailed description of your PC, cpu, memory, storage, network details etc. so they can help you.

1 Like

PC LENOVO Z50
STORAGE 1TB (ONLY 470GB USED)
PROCESSOR INTEL (CORE) TM i7-4510u
CPU @ 2.0-2.6GHZ
NETWORK SECURE 5GHZ
BROWSER CHROME
10,000 TRACKS

How many albums and/or tracks in your library?

I have 10,000 tracks

It is so this just may be normal load up time

Hi @Robert_Zinn,

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

10,000 tracks is quite modest, Roon should be up and running in 60 seconds or so …

I had a quick look the Z50 specs, it looks like a laptop with either a HDD or a hybrid drive fitted, for good performance with Roon it should be running with a SSD. Could you confirm what’s fitted and also how much RAM is installed.

Hi @Robert_Zin,

10K tracks should generally load pretty quickly, but it does depend on a number of factors:

• Is Roon installed on an SSD?
  • Is this a new installation where analysis is still occurring?
  • Do you have other apps running that are using resources? What does resource usage look like?

I have nothing connected to pc, as far as ram what’s ever installed HDD Drive etc…
CPU

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz

Base speed:	2.60 GHz
Sockets:	1
Cores:	2
Logical processors:	4
Virtualization:	Disabled
Hyper-V support:	Yes
L1 cache:	128 KB
L2 cache:	512 KB
L3 cache:	4.0 MB

Utilization	44%
Speed	2.84 GHz
Up time	0:02:54:32
Processes	193
Threads	2324
Handles	80193

CPU

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz

Base speed:	2.60 GHz
Sockets:	1
Cores:	2
Logical processors:	4
Virtualization:	Disabled
Hyper-V support:	Yes
L1 cache:	128 KB
L2 cache:	512 KB
L3 cache:	4.0 MB

Utilization	44%
Speed	2.84 GHz
Up time	0:02:54:32
Processes	193
Threads	2324
Handles	80193

Hi @Robert_Zinn,

Using an HDD instead of an SSD could certainly result in things being a bit slow. Our requirements note that an SSD should be used for optimal performance.

1 Like

5-10 minutes to open Roon with a 10,000 track collection when running on SSD is NOT normal.

1 Like

You’re right! I read seconds not minutes, it’s age.

My PC I don’t think has an SSD built in, should I get an external and move the ROON program to it, if so which one would you recommend?

No, you need to replace the existing internal HDD (that the OS and all your applications run on) with a SSD.

This normal involves plug the new SSD into a USB adaptor and connecting it to your PC.
Run some disk cloning software, that will duplicate the contents of you current HDD.
Once that complete remove the old HDD and replace it with the new SSD.

Check out https://www.crucial.com/ they can supply all the parts and the cloning software.
They even have a scanner tool to identify your PC and what components you need.

If your not confident of doing this yourself, get a local PC repare / support shop to do it for you.

BTW the information you pasted is only about the CPU spec of your machine, you should find out what internal drive is fitted and also how much RAM is installed (It’s important to know the starting point, to be able to judge how to improve it).

For a while I ran Roon on a Mac Mini with a HDD. Booted up in under 30 seconds.

5-10 minutes is definitely not normal, so there must be something else going on in the system.

This is a support section, not a place for you to vent or mislead others. If you are also having problems of slow startup, then open a support ticket so that it can be fixed.

Or, if you don’t want to mess with installing a SSD in you laptop, you could get another computer device to run your Roon core program. For instance a NUC is a relatively inexpensive, but very effective device for running Roon. In that case, you would just use your laptop, iPhone, iPad, or Android device to control your Roon NUC.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

1 Like

I saw a couple of comments but couldn’t find your support thread

Where did you post, perhaps we can help 2nd time round.

I used to have over 10,000 CDs (not tracks!) with Roon installed on an 2010 Mac Mini. Roon would boot is less than 5 minutes, so I don’t think 5-10 minutes for 10,000 tracks (approximately 1,000 CDs) is normal on a modern computer.

1 Like