Tip: Wireless listening in hi res with Roon and iPad/iPhone

Ingredients related to this tip:
-Roon core
-Hugo2 or most portable DAC
-Your favorite headsets
-iPad/iPhone

I am now free to listen music in high res “wirelessly” from any position in my home, trough my favorite headsets.
I run the core from a Nucleus and mostly use iPad app to direct music to my systems. For a long time I did not reflect that my iPad/ iPhone was present in the list of devices until one day…
So I connected my Hugo2 to the iPad. My headsets to the Hugo2. Chose iPad as device for playback and I got my music played. Hi res is supported. As for now I’ve used Tidal as source and have tested until 96/24.
I use iPad Pro, but it will work with iPad and iPhone as well as my Mac. Have no clue about Android (could not care less :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
It also works with my Mojo, and will most likely work with any DAC as long as they support USB (A-B-C micro or any)

1 Like

Which cordless headphones are using? Or you listening to wired headphones via wifi from varying locations within your dwelling?

I can do this using an A&K Kann DAP.

That’s a good way to do it if you need to be mobile around the house within range of your WIFI signal. I use an iPhone, Dragonfly Cobalt, and Sony wired headphones. However, I normally just use the Tidal or Qobuz app loaded on my iPhone. When I get outside WIFI range, it switches to my cellular connection, mostly when walking the dog.

I can also do the same thing with a pair of Sennheiser RF headphones connected wirelessly to a base station that is connected to my Oppo 203 analog out. I lose connection in certain rooms of the house.

The idea here is to listen high res music. So cordless headphones are out of the picture.
If I just want it simple I would connect my Sony WH-1000XM3 to my iPhone and walk the house. But the way I described it there is no compromising in sound quality - which is the whole idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure - there are many ways of listening music - but this tip was for those who have invested in a Roon core for a reason and want to use it to the full :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I’m not a fan of wifi connection with hi-res. I use a Networked core, and wired networked endpoints with wired headphones. I have three rooms with headphone systems. All of them are hard wired to the network. Wifi is for the ipads, remotes, etc. If I want to duck into a corner of the house, I’ll grab the A & K DAP.

I thought from your post you had a cordless headphone solution for hi res. Misunderstood what your intent was. Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

I get that and I do the same thing, as I said. I merely added that I also use the Tidal and Qobuz apps.

1 Like

I think the point of this tread is that many people may not know they can use their iPad or iPhone as a Roon end-point rather than just a Roon control device. It is a good way to be mobile around the house while listening to Tidal or Qobuz streaming through Roon.

1 Like

That was my idea - just to share something that I have enjoyed a lot, but what for me was not obvious for a long time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. Good to know. I been contemplating how do best implement multi-room and this is a good example.

1 Like

Very interesting. So first I connect my PC with Roon Core to a WiFi router, then run wired Ethernet from this router to the transport device and DAC in my main HiFi system. Perhaps someday I’ll then be able to connect my A&K DAP to the same router via WiFi and enjoy portable Roon connectivity elsewhere in the house (along with any Roon DSP presets that I may want to use with my headphones).

Thanks for the info!