Title filter with tag breaks system down

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon ROCK, 1.7 511
NUC i7
8 Core CPU
8GB Memory
256GB SSD M.2

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

1GB Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Devialet 440 PRO

I have a music collection with about 350000 songs. When I filter songs in the Title view everything works very well. Also the filtering with tags works well as long as there are only a few songs in the tag.
Now I have about 70000 songs with the tag ROONTRACKTAG and the same value. If I select this one in the Title view then the system breaks down and the Roon spinner spins for about 10 minutes until I get those 70000 songs. It seems that there is a view missing in the database for this tag.
by the way I tried different installations under Windows 10 and Windows Server 2019, I have always the same phenomena. Even if I create a completely new database, re-importing everything will not solve the problem. Do you have an idea?

As long at it is spinning, it is not possible to listen to a new song:

While it very well might be that there is a software/DB problem, having more RAM available might also help as the system has to store the result set of ~70k tracks somewhere. Should it start swapping, things would surely slow down. See also:

On my Windows System I have 16gb and roon takes around 6/7 gb, same behaviour…

And if it would be a memory issue, it should also happen with filtering genres. There is absolutely no issue

A View does not contain data, so the database is going to execute the query inside the view. This can be expensive, which is why you’re seeing the spinner.

May better an index of tags :slight_smile:

As I describe in the roontracktag the quality of the record I thought I also could to this with 2 additional genre’s. I added this genre to those songs and if I do the filter through the genre it is working within 2 seconds and not 10 minutes…

I can live with this workaround, but I think @support should look inside what happen to my problem.

Hi @Marco_Kohler,

You have a pretty large library and, with that many tracks in the tag, it’s not entirely unexpected that there may be some slowness here. I’ve passed a ticket along to our technical team for investigation to see what the expected performance should be here and what we can do better. I can’t make any guarantees or promise any timelines, but the team will look into this and I’ll follow up when I have their feedback.

Thanks for the report!

1 Like

Strictly speaking there should be no performance differences using tags and say any focus item, albeit in this case it sounds like you’re asking it to list a subset of circa 70k tracks so I’m guessing that data relying to reach track needs to be returned to be displayed

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.