Today, Bob Stuart launches a blog

I’m not the one comparing online criticism of MQA to congressional enquiries here, or the one who came up with

Then moved the goalposts to requalify my standards from “display” (or “existing”) to “getting tangible results”.

So congressional enquiries are ineffective / inefficient, to the point of being in effect non existent, and that’s a bad thing, but a bunch of consumers calling a crook out isn’t “appropriate or pretty” ?

Oooh, those… Trust in paper is at an all-time high, as we all know. Journalism is booming, in fact, they can’t find enough people to be journalists, who’re now all gazillionaires.

Neither am I

I’m not sure anyone has a clue what you’re on about (by now), I do (vaguely) but there’s no obvious reason to your post other than to move further and further away from the point, which is a typical style for anti MQA ranters.

Well you don’t tell Kelloggs to put less salt in cornflakes, waste of time, reading the anti MQA stuff isn’t pretty. Reading bile on discussion boards about hifi, not pretty…

Good night

I do not like all that different formats. When I read the newspapers nowadays vinyl is the black gold. Black PVC.

Good night.

Good night room, good night moon… :wink:

Why such as fuss about MQA, after more than 4 years since it’s introduction nothing good has come out of it. MQA is nothing but a niche market desperately keeping alive none other by Tidal streaming. If Tidal goes away one day it will spell the end of it.

Besides, streaming and downloads for lossless CD and Hi-Res are a norm now. Whether enjoying your collections or and streaming, the reproduction of music is so damn good now that is limited to our hi-fi setups and configurations.

Enjoy your music and stop being so grumpy!

4 Likes

It’s my goal to rule the world also… :joy:What are the chances?

Now Danny Nicholls does a great version of that song on CD

Should be on Tidal…

1 Like

Arguments over sreeming MQA vs Red book CD over sound quality using Roon( I use Auralic G2) is totally pointless as both beaten by any CD player by marantz or naim that i own.

Because desperate people do desperate things, including writing self-serving blogs whose sole purpose is to shore up their unnecessary and unwanted inventions.

7 Likes

Meanwhile over at Netflix, launched 4 days ago…

According to Netflix, its “high-quality sound feature is not lossless, but it is perceptually transparent.” So while the audio will be compressed, you won’t notice the difference between what your surround sound system delivers and the studio version – or so Netflix says. Through internal tests, Netflix determined that, for Dolby Digital Plus, 640 kbps is the point at which additional quality is imperceivable, and for Dolby Atmos, Netflix says the threshold is 768 kbps. Theoretically, bitrates higher than that would only slow devices.

NQA? :slight_smile:

/10chars

3 Likes

Perceptually transparent? Musically lossless? All these belong to a group called psychoacoustics coding. The problem with this type of human modelling, NOT everyone hears the same. If one has to draw a conclusion like this I would say, ‘average distribution’.

If a bit rate of 768kbps can be easily achieved by using lossless coding like FLAC, Another area is VBR (Variable Bit Rate) can further reduce the bit rate stream without affecting the data integrity. It is just another Dolby’s dominance when it comes to video and sound streaming.

MQN?

/10chars

AES Papers.

http://www.aes.org/journal/?fbclid=IwAR3S-cK5YvcTpuXCxL9bSPUNsMUHc3OZN770_2PGLDrSWDfFtQP0TBWeuPs

MQA is yet another one of their imitators

2 Likes

Bob’s “perspective” is totally debatable - it’s meaningless jargon and BS. MQA’s whole marketing of “blur” correction and “timing” correction is BS. And note, they never actually define “blur”. Where is their proof that the “timing” of MQA is improved? Note: there isn’t any actual proof, just lots of handwaving by MQA.

Fact: MQA processing ADDS aliasing and distortions that weren’t in the original. It’s an unavoidable result of the MQA folding and unfolding/filtering process.

You may like the resulting sound. That’s fine. But all the marketing jargon and BS around it needs to be pointed out for what it is.

5 Likes

I would be interested to see your peer reviewed papers on all this

What a BS response. Really? Where are all the peer reviewed papers of the MQA secret sauce? You know, all the stuff locked up behind the NDA?

Just look online for people who have done technical analyses of MQA and how it works. The work has been seen by numerous qualified people and hasn’t been refuted. No one, including MQA, has negated these analyses. They’ve made non-technical and ad-hominem rejoinders, but none to the technical substance. You know why MQA hasn’t shown them to be wrong? B/c they can’t.

3 Likes

Winners uniting !!!

MQA is now partnered with two companies that aggregate a glorious .35% total of all streams, now that they’ve triumphantly announced an over 50% (i.e, .14%) increase !!!