Too Many Failures message. I can't use Roon at all

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Asus laptop.
Windows 10

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

BT Router. Core is connected via wifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Bluesound Node2 connected to a Lyngdorf 2170

Description Of Issue

I can’t play any song from any library at all. I just get the same notice:

Unexpected error communicating with audio device.
Too many failures. Stopping playback

I’m not really sure what to do to get it back working.

You are not going to like the answer. Your Core should be wired not wireless. Can you connect the Core via an ethernet cable to see if the problem goes away?

I agree with John, but also check that you have the latest firmware on your Node. They released a BluOs update a few weeks ago that dramatically improved network connectivity.

I’ve just uninstalled the Core and reinstalled it and it now works fine again. Although because I’ve installed a new core I’ve lost all my parametric settings. It least it’s back on though.

With regard to the Core, do you mean it should be wired to my end point?

Funnily enough I made sure I was on the latest firmware yesterday.

1 Like

No the core should be wired on the network.

2 Likes

OK I understand. Please can you explain why. Is it because it’s a more stable platform?

At the moment it is not wired and working so I guess that wired is preferable

Apologies if these seem daft questions, this is all new to me.

Roon shifts a lot of data around. It does a lot of data look ups across the internet. when it streams to your audio devices unlike other systems that send the flac file to the endpoint, roon expands it on the core and sends the whole PCM file across the network.
So the recommendation is to hard wire the server.
You can get it to work wirelessly, possibly, but the first step in troubleshooting is to wire it up so that variable can be discounted - or not…

1 Like

That’s makes a lots of sense and I understand now.

To be honest, the laptop was only supposed to be a quick fix. I bought a NUC and I’m just waiting for my next door neighbour to put ROCK on to it. When he’s given it me back I did intend to have it wired.

That’s for your answer and help.

No problems. Any issues or information needed, that’s what the forum is for!

1 Like

Hello @Craig808, glad you got some help here! You can learn more about our networking best practices by visiting this link.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.