“Too many failures. Stopping playback.” Every few tracks on Grimm MU1

Roon Core Machine

Grimm Audio MU1 running Core and Player.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

No network. Local onboard 2GB SSD

Connected Audio Devices

external DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

12,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Playing local music no problem for three weeks. Then suddenly this meaningless error message. Happens once a day to start with. Now every two or three tracks. Every time I have to reboot.

What do you mean by no network? You don’t think it’s a network issue or the server isn’t connected?

I’ve been having multiple similar problems since the last update.

I think he means he doesn’t use network to connect to music (NAS or Streaming services like Qobuz/Tidal). All his music is local (SSD inside the MU1).

I ask as even local roon does need a network connection anyway for metadata, licensing. So missing details off doesnt help for diagnosis.
It sounds like roon experiencing a network error

If core and output is running on same device, and music is stored locally on this device - no network is included in the signal path during playback.

I would reach out to Grimm Audio, since issue is inside this device. Only place the network is used is for the remote - playback does not stop if this gets disconnected from network.

1 Like

It’s a Linux computer, so could be standard computer problems. As recommended above, I’d reach out to Grimm or your dealer for help. They package Roon Core with the machine, so it’s all in their ballpark, I’d think.

As Patrick and Tor_Gunnar_Berland mentioned, there is a (Ethernet) network connection but it’s only for fetching meta data, server updates etc. No NAS involved.

Yes indeed. Grimm Audio package Roon Core with the MU1.
(Only had the thing for three weeks. No issues at all, playing for a few hours each day. Until Wednesday when I saw this error for this first time. Saturday was the worst, seeing this error only after playing 2 - 3 tracks.)

Network connection seems OK. Lyrics being pulled down each time next random track is selected. But tracks never play. Just get the dumb error message. So press Next track. New lyrics. Same dumb error message again. Audio never plays.

Have you rebooted everything from the network outward?

That’s a good point. Thanks Ged. Haven’t re-booted the network router in ages.

1 Like

Hey @Trevor_Harrison,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your question. My apologies for the delayed response and for your wait. We’ve made some recent changes to the support team structure and some reports have experienced a longer response time than usual.

Since some time has passed I wanted to touch base to get your current status. If you’re still experiencing this problem on the newest Roon build (970) and need assistance please let us know. We’ll be watching for your reply and get back in touch as quickly as we can. Thanks! :+1:

Hi @benjamin .
MU1 played all Friday evening without stopping. without need to repeatedly reboot to clear playback error messages. Roon upgrade performed two weeks ago btw. And I attempted to improve Internet connection for the home.
Played all day Saturday as well. No problems at all. Thank goodness. It was getting really bad ; a few days ago Roon Core could only play half a track from the SSD and would then need a reboot.
Noticed this red triangle appear in the Roon client app on the iPad.
I did not turn off this “Meta data improver”. Don’t know how !
But with this off, MU1 plays and plays all day. Weird.

That literally means that Roon is having trouble “phoning home”.
So usually indicative of some type of network error…even if you are only fetching metadata atm.

Odd; nothing else in the home and home office reporting network errors.
Regardless, in this scenario of only ever playing music from the SSD (I don’t use streaming), why on earth does the server grind to a halt, forcing a reboot? My primary use of the music server is to listen to music!! Just play the music. I’ll fine tune meta data about once a year :slight_smile: .

Possibly a firewall issue?
Sometimes the metadata and images have been known to be blocked

Hey @Trevor_Harrison,

Thank you for the information! Before digging in further, are you able to provide a more specific breakdown of your network setup? Are you using Ethernet cables to connect your core to your router?

This error message is typically displayed when the Roon Core is not able to reach Roon’s cloud servers.

I would recommend first rebooting your router and any associated network equipment.
Then reboot the Roon Core and see if that fixes the issue.

I’d also be curious to see your DNS settings, both on your Router, Core, and Remote.

Hi Ben,
I’ve done several things to try and improve the home network Internet access. Exactly the things you’ve described. Re-booted the router. Re-booted the fibre optic access point the router connects to. (ISP here provides “fibre to the home”.) Seriously upgraded the Ethernet cable between the Grimm Audio MU1 running Roon Core and the Ethernet socket on the wall; now has a 1 meter Network Acoustics CAT8 cable.

The MU1 must have been rebooted over a hundred times during the three week period of constant “too many playback errors” !

MU1 must be utilizing DHCP because I’ve never had to setup any network parameters for Roon Core. Real plug-n-play device the MU1, with the built-in 2GB SSD holding all my CD rebook rips. (800 CDs, so not one of the BIG libraries.)

It is most odd there is a message indicating Roon cloud services cannot be contacted. For example, the MU1 has successfully carried out two upgrades to Roon Core; to Build 952 and just recently to Build 970. For example, in-between reboots, the Roon client on the iPad would always show additional cover art and/or lyrics. Obviously it is frustrating as hell that the design of Roon Core is such that if there is a temporary blip on the Internet access whilst playing files from the SSD, the Roon Core stops and needs a reboot of the MU1 to resume listening to music.

Re: recent Roon Core upgrade
The red triangle no longer visible on the iPad Roon client app.
No “Too many failures. Stopping playback.” messages yet. Touch wood, cross fingers :slight_smile: .

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.