Top 10 Feature Requests

Plus the ability to zoom in on artwork.

The ability to display text files, similar to the way jpgs and pdfs can be displayed from within Roon.

Not a product feature, but a business feature:

Two year subscription: $200
Three year subscription: $250

Hmm, there’s more than 10 feature requests in this thread.

Really, haven’t we been here before, multiple times in multiple threads?

1 Like

Oh yes, it’s just passing the time… making some of the new folks feel like they get a voice…

I think Roon is influenced about 10% by all this, and they have their own product development plans. I am cool with that.

1 Like

I do not know about cool, but very optimistic for sure!

1 Like

A scalable display, depending on the device used, would be nice so that album titles don’t fall off the edge of a smaller screen.

If I were a Roonie reading this thread, I would conclude that my own way was the best way.

Roon would be crazy, or driven crazy, by the deluge of requests and suggestions.

I actually think quite the opposite… from everything they have posted about their Dev process they are pretty mature. They have backlog and strong dev practices. I would not be surprised if they didn’t log the ideas and evaluate them, even though they don’t share those results with us.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure that Roon product guys read most of the feature requests. What I am not sure about is whether feature development is anywhere near the top of the priority list for Roon. I think they are all about every integration they can do right now.

When the 800-pound gorilla (Amazon) comes to visit your niche, priorities can fluctuate wildly, particularly from offense to defense.

Actually, we will see how serious the visit is today during the new Amazon hardware event.

I read where Amazon is expected to announce a Sonos level speaker.

1. Podcast support - Teaming up with Pocketcast?!?!

2. Dirac Live support

1 Like

+1 on the Dirac integration.

2 Likes
  1. two separate libraries
  2. Dirac integration
1 Like

I’ve been using Roon for 2 years now, and my list is rather different (I wouldn’t mind Roon Mobile™, but I use a Sony as a player so it’s not that useful to me).

• A better interface for reorganising tracks when importing/identifying albums. Can’t believe I’m still clicking a hundred times to organise 20 tracks.
  • A solution for boxsets. Clearly, full automation is not working and never will, so ask the user when importing rather than forcing them to reorganise everything after the fact.
  • Playlists. Come on, it’s as basic a feature as they come! Options for exporting playlists without exporting tracks and more options for the M3U format, and smart playlists. On the later, make use of Roon’s functionality: allow me to easily create a smart playlist with 40 tracks based on the 'influenced by" tag.
  • Perhaps this is more personal, but the interface might be sleek, it’s not very functional. I hate that nothing comes up when I right-click on something, and that I then have to go to the “right” place to find what I’m looking for. I was editing a bunch of albums the other day (thanks to a boxset identification mishap), and going all around the screen with my mouse was getting really old.
  • Some solution for synchronising selected albums/titled on an external source. I guess something like this will have to be implemented for any mobile version of Roon, but extending just this functionality to external drives would help with managing high Rez players.
  • Discography, mentioned by many here, would be a big plus.
  • Different handling for genres. Right now, the internal information within Roon is consistent, but the tags themselves are all over the place. It’s really annoying when using the files externally, and it would be best to give the user some control over this.
  • Give me the option to automatically modify my files when I make a change to a field. Right now, Roon commits 2 cardinal sins: it thinks the files are for its sole usage only and it believes it will be there forever. I want the information to be available outside and in a potential after-Roon era. Exporting/re-importing gets just as old as clicking tracks.

As far as I’m concerned, Roon is a great player, but everything else is subpar, even if it looks nice. more hardware support is nice to those who have it, but I don’t want to rely on an external software to organise and manage my library. The original spiel is about (re)discovering my music, not just being a player.

4 Likes

one more feature request: please introduce URL tags for albums / artists

I now have all my files with the discogs URL for that particular album.
it would be awesome to be able to click through on these

In that respect: also allow us to edit the URL tags for artists (you now have wiki links for artists)… but i have many missing URLs for artists, and also several wrong ones (or URLs which are no longer valid… i would love to be able to correct those, or link them to my preferred sources)

2 Likes
  • Simplify the API for integration in Homecontrol systems like Domoticz
  • Roon Remote Client for outside local LAN usage
1 Like

Single zone version of Roon that can accept plugins for those of us who want to run room correction plugins, etc, and don’t need multiple zones.

Vertical scrolling already.

My top feature requests:

1. Add an album view that includes liner notes with an immersive UI that would emphasize artist images and album art.

2. Artist discography

3. A “Playing in Roon“ page where I can see, by genre, albums that other Roonies are playing sorted within each genre by “likes” that can be given from within Roon and/or by how many times it’s been played. User can select any time period to generate this page.

4. Roon mobile

5 Likes