Top search result - streaming version not primary local version

I just had the following happening:

I searched for an artist and the top result was indeed the album that I wanted to play. But it’s the Qobuz version (that is in my library) and not the local version which is the primary version.

I would expect the primary version to be shown as the top search result.

It’s unclear what results you are commenting on since you searched for an artist, and the artist appears once in search results.

Likewise, if you search for a release, this takes you to the release page. If there are multiple releases in your library, there is a version tab. The primary version is displayed by default.

If this isn’t your experience, please provide details of the search, and include screenshots.

Roon will always feature the highest quality content from your library.

I have found that the primary version isn’t always displayed by default for search more often it shows the streaming one for me even though my local one was set as primary. Happened all the time for some albums so I have now removed all Qobuz versions of albums I own from my library to stop this even hires ones that my local is only cd quality.

1 Like

I think it’s a bug. I did the search several times today and sometimes the top result is the primary local version and sometimes its the Qobuz version.

Qobuz version and local version are both 48/24 hi res.

I type the artist name “myrkur” in the search field, at the home screen, for example.

This is the correct top result:

This is the wrong top result:

When I click on the wrong top result, you can see it’s not the primary version:

…and the top result in both instances is the artist Myrkur. How is that a bug?

What happens if you type “folkesang”, i.e., the release you’re looking at?

No, look at the album that is displayed as “top result”. Right at the top.

Of course the correct artist is found. But the field “top result” is an album by that artist. And there I expect the primary version of that album - always.

If the primary version just pops up randomly, I can’t see how that would be a feature.

My point is this: you searched for an artist not an album. Roon returned the artist.

The top result may have been an album by the artist, but that’s immaterial since you were looking for the the artist.

If I search for an artist, that’s all I expect. Everything else is just random AFAIK.

If I’m looking for something in my Roon library, I don’t use search, I just type the artist name and go here…

It should still be consistent in what it returns though and should weight to your own copy do you not think. This is a valid complaint whether it’s using Artist search or artist and album search, Roon should return the same results each time if nothing has changed in his parameters or collection.

1 Like

This is a different matter, and could be a request in #feedback:feature-suggestions.

However, remember that your library includes both streaming and local media, and local has no precedence over streaming.

Arguably, the highest sample rate / bit depth should be shown (since the highest quality should always be featured.) This may happen since search is under active development with much of the groundwork done last year (I’ll append the relevant thread later for others to see if I can find it.)

I don’t agree, inconsistent results should not be occurring fullstop this feels like a bug in the search logic.

The decision by Roon defaulting to highest res is imo wrong. But this is my personal preference. Highest res does not mean best. If you have it in your library it should return the primary version you have chosen for that release in any circumstance wether that’s in streaming or not. Your library version should take precedence. If you don’t have it in your library then fine, show it. This I agree is a feature request the main issue of inconsistency isn’t.

1 Like

Well, I would say primary version should be the default search result. This must not be ignored.

Without manually selected primary version I think it’s ok to have Roon prefer the higher res version.

EDIT: If Roon handles local files and streaming equal, that’s ok, but I would prefer if it would prefer local files. But this can be mitigated by chosing a primary version for where it counts (different masters, especially).

You can limit to library only using the book icon to the left I think this way it does choose the primary one but not really sure we should have to force this every time.

1 Like

Yes. That should be a general rule wherever roon has to make a choice. So that would include shuffle and radio as well. I routinely manually set a primary version other than the highest rez. There are 101 reasons. Different running orders, bonus tracks, XRCD or MOFI mastering’s, vinyl vs. digital source etc. etc. Roon’s lack of consistency here is right near the top of my personal annoyances.

1 Like

I agree with you on this.

I’m not so sure about the search though. After all it was an artist search and the top result landed the same release albeit different sample rates. Even web searches return different results at different times.

Moreover we know the search is imperfect, but the example used seems to be more of a hit than a miss in my opinion.

Is there any reason why the “top result” is returning an album rather than an artist when the search term is an artist? I see these mismatches between the “top result” and search term quite a bit.

It does not make a difference to me if it was an artist or an album or whatever search. If Roon shows an album to me I want it to be my primary version. Why else does Roon let me choose a primary version in the first place?

Secondly in my example Qobuz and local version are the same sample rates (48/24), but that should not matter, see point one.

I am actually not that annoyed, but I think always preferring the primary version should be obvious for UI design and I hope there are no technical issues standing against that. Who knows.

1 Like

Actually I like that feature.

When I want to listen to an artist, but don’t know how the albums are named, this is very convenient.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.