Topping D10 stopped working on my Core (Debian 11)

Roon Core Machine

NUC Corei5 - 128 GB nvme SSD, 8GB RAM
Debian Linux 11

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet connected to Amplifi HD Router

Connected Audio Devices

Topping D10 Balanced USB DAC ES9038Q2M XMOS XU208 PCM384kHz DSD256 HiFi DAC Decoder

Number of Tracks in Library

5474 tracks

Description of Issue

Topping D10 Balanced dac has been working fine since January 2023 connected directly to my Core.

Today I’m unable to play anything on it, it is recognized in the ‘zones’, but when I play a track I’m getting ‘Failed to open the audio device’.

If I go to Settings/Audio, and click on device setup, things come back. But unable to play anything on it.

I disconnected it and reconnected it multiple times, always the same thing. Rebooted the core, same problem.

I connected the D10 directly to a windows machine with the Roon client, and I’m able to play music on it just fine.

My linux distro does see the device ok, via lsusb:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 152a:8750 Thesycon Systemsoftware & Consulting GmbH D10 Balanced
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0aaa Intel Corp. Bluetooth 9460/9560 Jefferson Peak (JfP)
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

It seems like Roon Core stopped being able to play on this dac. This is a recent problem. It was working fine about a week or two ago.

Hi @sustn

What version of Roon Server is on your NUC?

Is Debian upto date?

:innocent:

Everything is running the very latest.

I happen to have to remove HomeAssistant which was running on the same machine, and the D10 started to work again with Roon.

So apparently a conflict with a recent update of HomeAssistant Supervised on Debian 11.

I will troubleshoot more and report back here if I find the origin of the problem.

Upgraded to Debian 12. Roon works great with the D10.
Re-installed HomeAssistant Supervised mode on it, issues with the D10 surfaced again.

So HomeAssistant is somehow messing up the local USB ports on Debian. I’ll look into this…

1 Like

I confirm that the culprit was HomeAssistant installed in Supervised mode. Once installed using the Container installation method, the USB conflicts got resolved.

All is working well at this point and the D10 Balanced is back at doing its spotless job with Roon.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.