Topping D70 DAC not working when enabled

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Version 1.0 (build 183) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Using WiFi via Linksys Velop Intelligent Mesh WiFi System, Tri-Band, 3-Pack White (AC6600)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Intel NUC as core connoted to network via WiFi with Topping D70 external DAC connected to MacBook Pro vis USB and a THX 789 headphone amplifier connected to the Topping D70 via XLR

Description Of Issue

I recently bought a Topping D70 DAC to pair with my THX 789 headphone amplifier. I bought the Topping D70 because it can play DSD up to 512 through USB. I connected everything but Roon doesn’t recognize the Topping D70 when I enabled it. It continues to play through the MacBook audio framework. Please advise and my goal is to play my DSD files either natively or through DoP.

Add images

Is the D70 set as the default device in MacOS settings? See below–substitute Mojo for D70.

Yes it is. See picture…

Try disabling MacBook Pro (system output) in Roon Settings > Audio. Click on gears and check Disable.

Note that you won’t get 512 from a Mac. I believe you’ll be limited to 128 DOP though I may be wrong.

It probably is a limitation of the Mac. I am sending DSD out to my Topping D70 through USB from an opticalRendu and it works great.
My two cents.

Think I now got it! I disabled MacBook Pro (system output) in Roon Settings > Audio. Then enabled the D70 changed DSD setting to “DSD over PCM 1.0 and restarted Roon. See my updated settings for the D70…
image image
Tested it with 3 types of DSD files from my library and it seems to work. Check out thees signal paths…
image image image

Thanks Martin. That seem to have done the trick

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.