Total novice. Roon says 'stopped' on my NAS, no idea what to do or how

Thanks, I’m DL it now…my wifes calling for dinner.
Thanks for all the help, i’ll message back if i manage to get anything running!

Cheers!!

The stated minimum is an i3 cpu.

I managed to get it all started up again by logging out of the Roon server on the NAS and logging in it on my iMac…all seems fine so far…fingers crossed!!!

Thank you everyone for all of the input and help!

2 Likes

That’s great. Just remember that you are using a different Roon core on your iMac. Two different Roon cores do not sync to each other so you will see some differences in your data, etc.

Yes. Install Roon on your Mac and make it your Roon Core.
Cheers

@lee_fawcett Just to expand a little on what you’ve probably learned so far.

Buying a NAS to run a Roon core is generally not a terribly good choice.

Compared to a Nuc/Roon Nucleus, it’s an expensive option. The minimum CPU requirements put the cost of the bare NAS without drives significantly above the cost of a NUC running ROCK and into the realms of buying a Nucleus appliance.

Running Roon on a NAS isn’t just a plug ‘n’ play exercise. Evolution of NAS operating systems frequently causes hiccups in Roon implementation. Have a look at the Synology DSM 7 thread for instance. Hats off to @crieke for his intensive efforts in achieving a workable solution.

They’re generally noisy beasts - fans and spinning drives (if you’re using them) create noise levels such that a location well away from your listening room will be required for the NAS.

If you already have a NAS that has the grunt to run Roon, then it could be a good choice.

It can save you from having to run yet another computer to host your Roon core.

You can have lots and lots of storage capacity and also run a RAID array, which can offer a degree of redundancy. (RAID is of itself NOT a form of backup though)

Automatic backup of your local music library and Roon database to elsewhere on site or off site is very easy to achieve.

Lots of NAS’ these days offer very high bandwidth network connectivity e.g. 10Gbit copper or fibre network card compatibility. You can connect lots and lots of networked devices to them and never run into bandwidth issues if you have a suitably capable network switch.

I’ve been running Roon on a Synology NAS for over a year (I already had the NAS for storing and moving lots of files including off site backup, hosting a bunch of IP cameras and running a Plex server) and it’s been plain sailing so far. I haven’t yet migrated to DSM 7 - saving that for when I have the time to dedicate to ironing out any niggles.

Even so, for the average user looking to get into Roon, I’d still point them in the direction of a NUC/Nucleus or running the core on an existing computer that meets the core’s hardware requirements…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.