Touch screen keyboard in windows fails

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Based on a VM server, 8 cores, 16 gigs ram

The device with an issue runs windows 10, its an nuc style device. In this instance its only being used as a glorified remote control, no audio connected to it.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ubiquiti networking throughout, ethernet end to end

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

N/A

Description Of Issue

I have a little pc with a 1080p touchscreen monitor connected. When I have a text field the onscreen keyboard pops up, in chrome etc and works great.
In roon however when I click the search bar, it either comes up, then goes away immediately, or it does not come up at all.
This issue is only present in roon.

This is a known issue.

There’s a setting in Roon that you need to be aware of: “Enable On-Screen Keyboard” ( in Settings > Setup).

I’ve always relied on Windows to automatically bring up the keyboard on a touchscreen tablet (or Surface device in tablet mode).

So,

• with the Roon client in Windowed mode - that Roon switch is necessary, and needs to be set to “Yes”.
  • With the Roon client in fullscreen mode (no Taskbar showing) - that switch is not necessary, the pop-up keyboard does not disappear - Windows handles the pop-up keyboard itself.

Frankly, I now prefer to run the Roon client on a Windows tablet/convertible in fullscreen mode - I don’t need to worry about the Roon setting for the onscreen keyboard.

2 Likes

Geoff thanks for that, cannot believe I did not see the setting.

Its working now.

I guess roon is just not set up for touch screens. Or at least because of the resolution I have to go full screen, (well actually its a 1080 monitor but small so I scaled to 150%)

In this mode it looks great but you cannot quit roon, its impossible!

1 Like

If you’re running Windows 10 on a touchscreen, then just swipe in from the left - that brings up the display of running programs (and your activity history). You can then close any program you wish.

1 Like

Thanks Geoff, you would think after 20 years of using windows I would be getting used to it.

Hi @Gareth_Irwin,

Thanks for letting us know that you were able to resolve this issue with @Geoff_Coupe’s help!
Please do let us know if there’s anything else we can assist with in the future!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.