Track fade out (Pause, Stop, Skip Track, Sleep, ...) and fade in when restarting

Is a simple fade out / fade in so complicated to implement? For me it looks like a quite simple code snippet to implement. What is the show stopper for the Roon development team to realize it?

2 Likes

+1
me too
Missed it so many years in LMS, Daphile, Volumio, and now Roon as well.
Fading options for playlists everywhere, but why not on skipping tracks, where it would make most sense, this is beyond me.
:thinking:

3 Likes

Because, so many companies goes right with their concept, but the last steps … :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Casting my vote +1

1 Like

Yes please, fade on track skip / stop. This is such a simple feature that improves the experience.

1 Like

+1 very nice idea
Best Sven

1 Like

I very much like to use a fader when ending a track in stead off stopping the track…

2 Likes

Yes, I would love this too. Sometimes to have to stop mid song and with the sound so good, I feel I am interrupting a gig. To fade down would be nice and feel respectful of the art.

Hi has anyone discussed this: when one stops a track it cuts off abruptly, as expected. Would it be possible to do a rapid auto-fade down instead?
The abrupt stop (whatever the track) sounds a bit harsh, especially at loud volumes.
Cheers
H

3 Likes

You don’t stop tracks, you pause them so fade doesn’t seem appropriate as the expectation is for playback to continue from when it was paused.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t like this either. Pause is like “stop now”, not “lets gently fade this thing out so no one notices”. Fading out is one of the first things I disable on jriver. Would you like it to gently ramp up when you press play as well?

If starting in the middle of a track - yes

No thanks.

No, not nedessert.

It has been suggested - and discussed - before. If I recall correctly opinion was (as usual) pretty polarised. I’d probably enable it if it were an option. My car audio does something similar; it seems somehow more civilised…

The german auto- correct.
So, once more: no, not necessary

Someone else suggested this before. I didn’t want it then, still don’t. If I want to pause a track, I want it to pause instantaneously. If I start it back, same thing. Why would I want it to fade in and out except at the beginning or end as it is recorded and played by Roon?

If we’re going to stick with ‘as recorded’, I guess we should only be allowed to ‘start’ a track at the beginning and ‘stop’ a track at the end… :wink:

That’s not at all the same thing. If the phone rings, I may click pause. After my phone conversation, I click play to hear the rest. Personally, I don’t want that to fade out and back in.

I know. I’m pulling your leg. But I wonder if we are imagining the same thing? I’m thinking of a rapid fade analogous to reaching out and turning a physical volume pot to zero - so probably less than a second. What are you thinking of?