Tracks being skipped

From my research, I am not the only one having a similar problem: Roon is skipping tracks after a few minutes or a few seconds. It is usually only the first track played of the day, and then it stabilizes. Also, if I shut down Roon and relunch it, it is usually fine. I can’t tell whether it only happens with FLAC, but I mostly have FLAC. My DAC is connected by USB to my laptop (a macbook pro 2015), and this laptop is also the core. I know it is not an ideal setup, but I have the same setup for the past 3 years and I only have this issue for the 2 or 3 weeks. Anything I should do to solve this problem?

Hi @David_Rocheleau_Houl,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Does this occur with all content (TIDAL and local)?

If you instead play to the speakers of your laptop does the same behavior occur?

Hi @dylan

Version of Roon: version 1.5 (built 363) stable (64 bit);
Device: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB of Ram, 120GB SSD;
My music is stored on an external hard drive, connected via USB to my computer.
29100 tracks.

My network configuation is wireless (I mean, my computer is connected via WiFi to my modem, my modem is provided by my internet company and it is a ZyXEL).

I only have local content, and it has never happen with the other zones I have: speaker connected via airplay, ipad, the other computer that is roon endpoint. As far as I know, it only happens with my DAC/headphone amplifier (connected to the MacBook Pro that is the core by USB). According to my partial testing, the issue does not occur if I play music from the speakers of the laptop.

In fact, the DAC is connected to a USB hub that is connected to the computer. Other things are also connected to the USB hub. This is my setup for, at least, the past few months. Let me know if I forget something.

Hello @David_Rocheleau_Houl,

Our sincere apologies for the delay in getting back to you here, I will be taking over your case while Dylan is on leave.

Can you please let us know the model/manufacturer of your DAC? Have you tried another USB cable in case the current one is faulty? Are you using the newest firmware/drivers for your DAC?

Can you please post a screenshot of your Signal Path while there is content playing? This screenshot should look something like this:

Please let me know this information and I we can proceed with troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

No problem regarding the delay. My DAC is from JDS Labs, the model name is “The Element”. I had to buy another USB cable, and when I started Roon this morning the issue did not occur. I will try again tomorrow with the old USB cable (as far as I know, Roon only skipped the first track off the day; I turn Roon off every night). Also, I don’t think my DAC needs a driver, at least not for mac.

Here is the required screenshot of the signal path.

Hello @David_Rocheleau_Houl,

Thanks for letting us know that the new USB cable seemed to resolve this issue. If this issue pops up again do let us know.

Thanks,
Noris