Tracks don't start playing from Tidal without pressing pause and play (Chromecast Audio) [Resolved - B778]

That’s a shame…
@support any movement?

What is this? A more than 3 months old unfixed serious bug? That came with a new release that broke backwards compatibility. And no activity/dead silence from the staff? On a 700 dollar supposedly premium consumer software?

Until people start to cancel their subscriptions or claim refunds, this situation will not improve. More than anything it is a sign of the typical conformity and disinterest of so many software companies who have grown too quickly.

I suggest trying out Plex. They are riddled with absurd bugs themselves, but have come a long way lately, and at least they are not overcharging for a faulty product.

Hello everyone,
@ask,
let us keep things in perspective please and
not allow ourselves to be carried away …

I have tried a few more things:
As an experiment, I disconnected my NUC 8i7 from the Asus RT-AC88U and connected it to my other LTE and 5G router, Huawei 5G CPE PRO 2 (H122-373).
And lo and behold, everything works out here with the other router!
Like it should and the way it worked right before.

But why the hell is that now?
And who can be blamed for the CCA not working right with Roon before?

A Roon update?
A Google update?
An Asus update?
Or an AVM update, because the Asus router hangs as an acesspoint behind a AVM FritzBox 7590?
:wink:
Sometimes things are too complex to be decided so easily.
Let’s enjoy the music,
Axel

1 Like

Sometimes I think my wife’s decision to stick with her CDs is a wise one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes Axel, of course it could be. But i find it most unlikely as it stoped working correct by the second Roon was updated.

And if it´s some kind of compatibility problem between Roon - CCA driver or Roon - Asus. Then i think Roon have a lot easier to find this problem and report it to Google or Asus. Me as i user can´t contact google and telling them that CCA driver is faulty because Roon doesn´t work, but everything else does.

Buying this product claiming to support CCA we should at least get the support to find out why it doesn´t work anymore. If then it´s a CCA driver problem, just let us know so and we can report it to Google.

Regards
Jonas

Hi everyone!

I tested activating DSP and Sample Rate Conversion for 44.1 kHz 16 bit that doesn´t work. Set it to Max PCM rate (power of 2) and it will give you a 88,2 kHz 24 Bit signal instead.

Problem is gone!

So for know activating this function to all your CCA will let you enjoy music without interupt.

One small thing is that you should have your device setup and MQA Capabilities set to “Renderer Only”. Otherwise it well resample MQA also.

Regards
Jonas

7 Likes

Well thank you, this solved my problem. (I started a thread in the support)

1 Like

This has been driving me nuts, and it seems Jonas’ advice fixed it for now.

Please figure this out Roon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Jonas, it works here too! Incredible how long it took for me to find your solution :pensive:

2 Likes

I just bought one of these Ethernet OTG adapter cables for my Chromecast Audio, and this seems to have fixed the playback pause issue. It also speeds up playback starting in general and stability etc. For just £9 I can highly recommend!

Joining and subscribing to this thread. Have been a long time regular Roon user. Hoping this is resolved soon. Reverted to mostly streaming from my phone to CCA directly, avoiding using Roon altogether for now.

They have usually been pretty quick to fix things broken with updates, which is why I had thought the problem was on my end.

I have the exact same problems.

Thanks, @Jonas_Soderlund!

That was the trick.

Just to ask again, the video versions of Chromecast don’t have this problem?

1 Like

This seems to have resolved itself for me in the last 12 hours. Anyone else also seeing that it seems fixed?

Detail:
Last night I submitted a support ticket via email for this same issue. I received a quick reply suggesting to start a new thread in this forum. As I was filling out the detail I was playing music to ensure I got the behavior correct in my post - and it was no longer a problem. I’m not using the DSP solution described above - it just seems that in the last 12 hours since emailing roon this is now resolved for me.

From a brief test, it does seem that the issue might have gone. Would like to see what others think.

I am still getting a pause of a second or two at the start of tracks though, so the music looks like it is playing but it doesn’t sound for a second. Annoying.

I am still experiencing the stop between tracks on Chromecast Audio. I am using the @Jonas_Soderlund hack to work around the issue, I disabled that hack to test based on your feedback but I am still getting stops.

I had the same playback stopping issue when advancing from one bit depth/sample rate to another with Apple TV (Gen 1) via Airplay (hardwired) and as of yesterday, the issue appears to be resolved which made me optimistic to try my Google Chromecast Audio again.

What are others experiencing? Maybe I need to do a power cycle on the Chromecast Audio?

Out of curiosity, what type of Wifi network are you using with your Chromecast Audio? I’ve been dealing with a major Wifi issue with my Google Nest Wifi Mesh network and I am wondering if that is related. Details about that issue here: https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/35111427?hl=en

UPDATE: I did restart my Chromecast Audio and I updated to the latest Roon 1.7 (Build 710) which was just released. These actions did not help. The only way to get local tracks to play or TIDAL tracks is to press pause and then play on each track or utilize Jonas’ DSP hack by forcing sample rate conversion.

I’ve switched to Ubiquiti Unifi system and moved entirely away from mesh. If you have the ability to run wires to access points this is much preferred. Also the Ubiquiti software is great for helping to identify/troubleshoot problems, especially channel interference from neighbors. My roon core is wired to a switch that is connected to access points throughout the house.

But I was experiencing the play/pause issue even with a robust network - and no Network changes (or even resets) between when it wasn’t working and now.

Been playing music for two hours now. Knock on wood, but it just might have sorted itself out.
Later I’m gonna try on my second system as well. That had even more tracks not playing.

I used the same hack and it seemed to help some, but not all. Most of the play/pause issues now seem to be MQA files selected by Roon Radio if that means anything :slight_smile: