Tracks skipped because audio files loading slowly

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

• Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Version 10.0.19042)
  • 10th Gen Core i9 10900T 1.9GHz 10C/20T 35W 20MB Comet Lake CPU (Turbo Boost 4.6 GHz)
  • GA-Z490I AORUS ULTRA LGA1200 ITX Motherboard
  • Vengeance LPX 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD (3500/3300)
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD (3500/3300)
  • Roon Core 1.8 (Build 764) stable 64 bit

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

• Router BT Smart Hub 2 and BT WiFi Disc (WiFi Mesh technology)
  • Core Machine is connected by ethernet to the port on the BT WiFi Disc
  • Devialet Expert 440 Pro connected via WiFi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

• Devialet Expert 440 Pro
  • Roon Ready via WiFi

Description Of Issue

Even though all my music files (all FLAC) are stored on the two 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD drives I am still getting tracks skipping because “Audio files are loading slowly”. I can find no hardware faults. There are no hardware errors logged in the Windows Event Log. All hardware tests show no problems. The only way to resolve the issue is to reboot. I cannot believe I am getting this problem given the spec of the core machine and that all the FLAC files are stored on SSD.

Hi Andrew, have you tried running speed tests on your Wi-Fi/internet connections? What else is connected to your Smart Hub/Wi-Fi Disc? It doesn’t matter how fast your core mchine and storage are if your network is slowing things down.

If possible, can you try connecting the Core to the Smart Hub? [Edit: Since the Disc acts as a WiFi bridge.]

@Graeme_Finlayson and @Martin_Webster thank you for jumping in so promptly and for suggesting a first troubleshooting step.

@Andrew_Nowak1, sorry about the trouble. Thanks for reporting it and for trying to work it out. Could you please share your findings after checking your internet connection?

1 Like

Hello Graeme,

I have run speed test from the core machine and network speeds are good and stable. Initially I had both the core machine and Devialet connected to a smart network switch (TP-Link TL-SG105E) and the switch was connected to the BT WiFi Disc. This should have meant all network traffic between the Core and Devialet would stay within the switch (Smart switch using MAC addressing) and not go over WIFi to the BT Smart Hub but I was getting interruptions when streaming (though not “Audio file loading slowly”). So I reverted back to the Devialet on WiFi and core connected to the WiFi Disc. It is not practical to run ethernet from the Smart Hub. Maybe if I understood the network streaming protocol being used I could try the switch again and configure it accordingly.

Hello Martin,

It is not physically practical to run ethernet from the Smart Hub. See my reply to Graeme for further info on my setup.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.