Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Lenovo M92P Desktop. Windows 7 Professional. Intel i5 Quad Core, 3.3GHz. 12GB Memory. 500GB SSD drive, newly installed to replace original HDD to meet Roon minimum requirements for this trial.
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. -> ASUS RT-N66U Wifi Router. -> TP-Link TL-SG108E Gigabit 8-Port Smart Switch.
Synology DS215j NAS. Approx 5000 tracks, mix of FLAC, mp3 and m4a
Note: Desktop with Roon Core and NAS with Music Library both hardwire connected to ASUS router (not TP-Link switch).
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Sonos, 5 zones:
- Hardwired: Sonos Boost direct wired to TP-Link Switch. ZP80 direct wired to Boost.
- Wireless: ZP100, 2nd ZP80, Play5(gen1), Play1
Marantz AV7702 via Airplay
- iPad Air
- Laptop – Lenovo i5 connected by WiFi
- iPhone 6s
Description Of Issue
We have been long time Sonos+Rhapsody users. Since hearing of Roon, I’ve wanted to give it a try but was not willing to give up the convenience of Sonos. I was very happy when I recently learned that Roon now supports Sonos as endpoints. I did some research, learned I needed an SSD upgrade to use my Desktop system as the Roon Core so I did that, and then started my Roon trial. I’m now 7 days in to my 14 day trial and still have enough issues that I don’t dare try to hand it over to my wife to convince her we need to subscribe. The 2 biggest remaining issues:
- Using the iPad as the remote (my most common interface), I constantly (every 30 seconds or so) get a “Lost Connection” error. This would not be such a big deal since it reconnects almost instantly, except that it resets my browsing back to the beginning of the list, which can be very frustrating if I’m 10 or 20 swipes deep into the browse!
- When streaming Tidal music, songs sometimes will start with distorted sound, burp out some digital noise, or begin playing then skip to the next song, skip many songs, or stop playing music even though the screen shows it is continuing to play. Note that Tidal is playing flawlessly when I use Sonos interface directly.
What I have seen in Roon I like a lot, so I hope these issues can be resolved with time remaining in the trial to let my wife thoroughly test drive it and give the subscription thumbs up.
Can you help get this up and running as flawlessly as my trusty Sonos system has been?