Tried new backup functionality, wouldn't stop backing up

I run the V1.3 Core on Debian Linux (virtualized). It upgraded to V1.3 fine (I have about 4,500 albums).

I tried to implement the new backup functionality, I configured max six backups, run every thirty days. I thought it would take about 6 months to reach six backups, it took maybe 15 minutes. I thought it would stop at 6 backups, and continued until I deleted the backup configuration, maybe several hours worth, backing up and deleting old backup files continously.

The backup functionality is nice - but I think it needs some debugging, at least on Linux Core.

When you say virtualized do you mean a heavyweight virtualization platform like VMWare or Hyper-V or something lightweight like Docker? What are you using as your backup target (“local” drive, NAS, Dropbox)?

I use byhve on Freenas 9.10 to run Debian Jess and Roon Core. When FN 10 ships, I will migrate it to Docker. the music files are various FN datasets that are mounted via NFS, and appear locally in the /server directory. Files read fine, the backup directory is seen and written to fine, no problem, also via NFS. The problem seems to be, the backups continue and don’t stop, even after the maximum number of backups, in my case, six.

I know that there have been some issues with people running in Docker containers due to the “unique” way Docker handles storage. Bhyve may have some similar issues. Best to flag @support here so that they can collect some logs.

I’ve been doing a bunch of tests on the backup system in Linux (both on a physical install as well as a Hyper-V install) and haven’t encountered anything remotely close to what you’re describing.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: 1.3: backups taking forever

Hi @mjt5282 ----- Thank you for the feedback, it is very appreciated! May I kindly ask you to first provide us the details of your current setup and then I would like to take a look at some of your logs.

Could you please reproduce this issue and dump me a set of logs from the device acting as your Roon core. If you like you can provide me a dropbox link here or in a PM.

Alternatively, if you don’t have Dropbox, let us know and someone from @support will send you information about uploading the logs directly to us.

Thanks and sorry for the trouble here!

-Eric

@mjt5282 – how do you know it conducted more than 6 backups?

From watching the log files, and the freenas performance (disk I/O) meters.

You’ve lost me… what in the logs is telling you it did the backup 6 times? I’m not sure it’s doing what you think it is doing.

They are incremental backups, and the files are hashed and the uploaded/copied to the destination. Disk I/O will be many times over the copy due to the hashing. The hashing locally is cheaper than the copy since you could be copying to a very slow destination like dropbox.

Anyway, do your backup, let it finish, and then check the folder. you should have 1 backup manifest with all the files listed. That is the only measure of “1 backup” that is legit.