“Tripping with Nils Frahm”: when a film aids music appreciation

Nils Frahm is a German composer and musician. Widely respected and recommended. I had several of his albums, but I found him difficult. I like avant-garde music but nonetheless, I didn’t connect,

But I recently came across a concert film, “Tripping with Nils Frahm”. It’s a record of a concert in the legendary Funkhaus Berlin (it’s actually an assembly from eight concerts but that does not show). It made me appreciate him more. Film sometimes does that.

Note, this is not a music video. It’s a concert film. Directed by the respected Benoit Toulemonde. One executive Producer is Brad Pitt. More here: Tripping with Nils Frahm (2020) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb )

I came across the film on MUBI, a curated service for film enthusiasts. But it is available elsewhere, including YouTube and Amazon and Apple (I think). And the album is on both Tidal and Qobuz.

But the film helps. I’m now going back to study the previously neglected albums.

EDIT: Frahm also made the music for Ellis, a short film about the immigrant experience with Robert De Niro (Ellis (film) - Wikipedia ), and Victoria, a full length crime thriller shot in one take (Victoria (2015 film) - Wikipedia ).

10 Likes

Thanks @AndersVinberg I will try and find the film…

He actually purchased the Funkhaus and turned it into a recording studio. I really like his works now, after being a bit indifferent to it originally, and last year purchased a few of his albums on vinyl as well.

I guess his style grows on you over time.

1 Like

I like him a lot. Myself and wife have seen him live four times. He works hard and is very humble!
The ‘Tripping’ video does make you realise how much is involved in each of his pieces.
As an aside, Victoria is an amazing one shot movie. :+1:

1 Like

You inspired me, I just booked his performance in Seattle in April.

2 Likes

I watched yesterday on Apple TV.

Was excellent and sounded great in 88.2/24. Thanks for recommendation.

Make sure you have a seat…not standing! I think you won’t be disappointed :sunglasses: