Trouble accessing Nucleus directory from File Explorer on Windows. No Group Policy Editor in W11 Home

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I used to transfer files to and from Nucleus internal storage easily from File Explorer. No longer available to me, I assume due to a Roon or Windows update. Not super techy. Help??

Check to make sure that SMB 1 is turned on in Windows, an update might have turned it off. Off the top of the head, use search for Turn Windows Features On and Off It should bring up a list and SMB should be on there. See if it is checked.

Yes, the SMB box is checked and I re-booted after. The Roon help page seems to indicate that SMB plus Group Policy Editor is necessary to do things this way…

This post might help particularly the second half if you’ve tried the first.

gpedit.msc (the second part) is not available on my desktop, as my Windows 11 is not a Pro or Enterprise version. Enabling SMB by itself has not made the Nucleus internal drive accessible.

Just to double check, SMB 1 is what is needed. Have you rebooted both the Core and Windows machines?

It could be a firewall issue. In Windows the firewall needs to be set to Private and not Public.

–MD

1 Like

I have rebooted both Nucleus and computer. Still no dice.
My Windows Defender Firewall says it is “being managed by vendor application Avast Antivirus.” I don’t know how to get into that or what I would need to check or change.

Open Avast up either through the start menu or from the task bar and look for the Firewall settings.
From there you should be able to disable / enable. Disable it and then try again to see if this works.

BTW - Can you ping the Nucleus?

–MD

Success! Avast had my connection to the router as an “Untrusted Network.” Once I switched to “Trusted Network” I’m back in business. Thanks so much for you help. Awesome!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.