Trouble copying files to NUC internal storage under Roon ROCK

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC running ROCK version 1.0 (build 227) stable and Roon 1.8

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

Internal storage goes offline when I restart the server. The internal storage is a separate SSD, (ie. not the SSD used for ROCK and the database), and the whole drive is a watched folder. I can see it in the web UI.

I copy files by drag-and-drop from an external USB drive connected to my original Windows Roon which I’m using as a remote. Start the NUC Roon core first, then the Windows Roon remote. The core on the NUC is authorized. This was causing a problem copying files when the progress spinner would not stop, but I think I solved that by starting the NUC first.

I copy files to the NUC using drag-and-drop on the remote, and I can see them in Roon and play them. But then if I restart the NUC it says “it looks like one of your storage locations could be offline”. Using Explorer I can see the files are in:
\rock\Data\Storage\InternalStorage\Roon Imports\DESKTOP-PB7CL6N\imported at 2021-03-21T13-38 UTC_00_00
So they are in the NUC internal storage and I can see them across the network in the ROCK file system. But Roon is not finding them.

I can repeat this whole process and it is exactly the same. I can copy files and play them using a different remote (iPad) after stopping the Windows Roon. But if I restart the NUC it is back to square one and I cannot play or see the files. What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

When you say you cannot see the files, have you tried going to albums and using the filter to see if they are in the album section at all? Based on your screen shot you are dragging and dropping the files onto Roon?

I never use that methodology as Roon puts everything you drop under a specific day folder. I want all my music together under one folder, so, I copy via file manager by dragging and dropping between windows open to the actual file folders themselves.

thanks for your reply Daniel.
Thanks for pointing out the specific day folders. I can see them in Explorer. I guess you put all files under one root folder and drag that?

I have an idea for why ROCK is not seeing the files. Maybe it’s because ROCK thinks the file storage is the USB drive plugged into the Windows machine running Roon remote. This could be because I migrated the Roon database to the NUC without understanding that it clones the settings. As a result, whatever file storage was originally used by Roon under Windows is inherited by the NUC. Is that correct? If so, then when I un-plug the USB, or use a different remote that does not have this USB plugged in, the NUC core can’t find the storage and reports that it could be offline.

I wonder how to test this idea, and if its right how to fix it?

Whenever I reboot the NUC it seems as if Roon cannot see any files I previously copied to internal storage. Here’s what I do:

1. Start the NUC running ROCK
  2. Start Roon as a remote on a Windows PC
  3. Copy a file to internal storage on the NUC by drag-and-drop from USB plugged into the PC.

At this point I can see the file listed by Roon under Tracks and Albums. I can also see it in Explorer under \Rock\Data\Storage\InternalStorage. I can play the file. Roon Settings > Storage shows just one watched folder: “Roon Optimized Core Kit Internal Storage”.

1. Reboot the NUC, (without touching the PC or the USB plugged into it).

At this point I can still see the file I copied in Explorer under \Rock\Data\Storage\InternalStorage. But nothing is listed by Roon under Tracks and Albums, and Roon displays the message:
“It looks like one of your storage locations could be offline.
Go to storage settings and make sure everything is connected.”
Settings > Storage looks exactly as it did before, with just one watched folder: “Roon Optimized Core Kit Internal Storage”.

I am stuck. Please help.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROCK on 10i7 NUC, latest stable release

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

I had Roon running fine on a Windows PC with an external drive. I made a new Rock NUC with internal storage, (separate from the storage for the OS and database). I followed the roonlabs instructions for migrating carefully.

Whenever I reboot the NUC it seems as if Roon cannot see any files I previously copied to internal storage. Here’s what I do:

1. Start the NUC running ROCK
  2. Start Roon as a remote on a Windows PC
  3. Copy a file to internal storage on the NUC by drag-and-drop from USB plugged into the PC.

At this point I can see the file listed by Roon under Tracks and Albums. I can also see it in Explorer under \Rock\Data\Storage\InternalStorage. I can play the file. Roon Settings > Storage shows just one watched folder: “Roon Optimized Core Kit Internal Storage”.

1. Reboot the NUC, (without touching the PC or the USB plugged into it).

At this point I can still see the file I copied in Explorer under \Rock\Data\Storage\InternalStorage. But nothing is listed by Roon under Tracks and Albums, and Roon displays the message:
“It looks like one of your storage locations could be offline.
Go to storage settings and make sure everything is connected.”
Settings > Storage looks exactly as it did before, with just one watched folder: “Roon Optimized Core Kit Internal Storage”.

I am stuck. Please help

Possibly solved:
Plug the USB directly into the front of the NUC. Then Windows File Explorer can see both storage devices attached to the NUC. Now copy or move files from one to the other.

Question:
Can I use Explorer to delete files from \\rock\Data\Storage\InternalStorage? (I don’t want to upset the database by doing this). Can I create new folders within InternalStorage to store files?

To be clear, it looks like the method of copying files by drag and drop onto the Roon application window is not the right way to do it. (Thanks to Daniel Beyer for pointing this out). This seems to contradict the advice given at: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/local-files and method #1 at: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/rock-importing-music

Method #2 seems to work better. If you plug a USB directly into the front of the NUC it is automatically mounted as a storage device and appears as a folder named after whatever USB you plugged in. Windows File Explorer can see both storage devices attached to the NUC, (the internal storage and the USB), under: \\ROCK\Data\Storage, and you can copy or move files from one to the other.

It is a way of doing it. It is not “wrong”. As Daniel says, if you want to arrange your music folder structure yourself, then use File Explorer. If you want to leave it to Roon, then simply drag and drop into the Roon window.

In your case - there seems to be something else going on to cause your InternalStorage folder not to be seen.

Thanks Geoff.
If I use File Explorer to update my storage it works fine and Roon can see InternalStorage after a reboot. But if I use drag-and-drop to the application window Roon says InternalStorage is offline after a reboot. It is a mystery to me. What could be causing it?

Can I copy/move/rename/delete files in InternalStorage without upsetting the database if I first stop the server watching?

You can. If you delete files/folders then Roon should note this in Settings > Library > Library maintenance. Roon’s database should automatically update itself for Moved/Copied files and folders.

Sorry had a more in depth post seems to have gotten eaten, will rewrite

Hey @Mike_Allerhand,

Welcome back to our community :wave: . Well, a belated welcome back. Sorry for the immense delay…

It looks like your conversation with @Geoff_Coupe and @Rugby (thanks both :pray:) has been fruitful. I was wondering if we can help with anything at all at this point?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.