Trouble importing library into Roon

Ahh, ok – big difference!

That should be fine, SSD is definitely not needed for media storage, just for the hard drive the database is running on.

I will let it crunch all night and see if it loads. That’s what happened the first time. I’ll report back in the morning. Remember right now I cannot get the core to load so I think that report wont be generated.

ok. so… it came up in the night. Its crunching through audio analysis and has a dialogue box that says I have to back up so I setup a backup but the dialogue box won’t go away. I’m guessing it will when the backup is done. with all that going on, I can search and play music with very few hiccups. So, I don’t think its my core that is the problem. I think it is my collection size.

the backup is done but there is still an error message dialogue box that says I need to do a backup??? @mike

Its up Dylan. Did you get the diag report @dylan wait I see the “update” in the original message saying it was generated and passed on…

Hey @Ben_Katz,

I had a chat with the team today about your diagnostics report and wanted to follow up with you on this.

Your library size is quite large. In fact, it’s one of the top 5 largest libraries that we’ve seen at Roon. A library this size definitely requires a lot of resources in order to function properly. A catalyst for this is the richness of Roon’s data model–500,000 tracks means we’re also keeping track of 50,000 albums, 750,000 performers, 20 million credits, and so on. Compared to most other music apps, we manage at least 10x more data–so we are starting from a more difficult position. So at 850,000 tracks total I’m sure you can imagine that there is a lot of power needed to manage the database.

One thing that may help some is making use of RoonServer instead of an all-in-one Roon install. This likely won’t drastically increase performance, but RoonServer has a couple of benefits. One being that you can leave this running in the background so you don’t have to worry about closing and opening the UI and wait on things to load. The UI also takes up some of the machine’s resources, so using a remote to access Roon offloads some of the resources required.

It’s important to clarify: libraries of this size are extremely exceptional, and will always require special care. The group of people with 500k+ track libraries represents a small handful of people amongst our user base. Those with libraries this size often require a bit more power than what we typically recommend. That is why I was previously asking more about the specifications of your Core machine. I’m assuming with a library that size you’re meeting or exceeding our recommended specs. I want to make sure I can give you an accurate guess about the performance you can expect here, and to do that I need to know the specs of the machine

With a library this size, getting the database up and running is going to take some time. With this much music in Roon 7 minutes doesn’t sound outside the realm of possibility, but I’d need to know the specs of the Core machine to say for sure.

For the hanging you’re occasionally seeing, some more information is needed to fully understand this behavior:

• How often does this happen?
  • How long does Roon go without being able to load?
  • If you close Roon and try to reopen does it still sit at this screen?
  • Are you able to use your computer at this time or is it entirely locked up?

Just to clarify here, does this message say that there is no backup scheduled? In Roon, under Settings > Backups, you can schedule backups to occur at an interval of your choosing. This is to ensure that you have periodic backups so that, in the event you ever need one, you have something recent. This message will display even if you’ve used Backup Now to create a backup. You can ignore this message if you’d like, but it will go away if you schedule a backup. You can read more about our backup functionality here.

Thanks,
Dylan

Dylan. Thanks for the reply. I will answer further when I get home tonight.

With a library this size, getting the database up and running is going to take some time. With this much music in Roon 7 minutes doesn’t sound outside the realm of possibility, but I’d need to know the specs of the Core machine to say for sure.

For the hanging you’re occasionally seeing, some more information is needed to fully understand this behavior:

• How often does this happen?
    The hanging only happens when I first tried to load it and when I tried to load it after my trial was extended and I tried to open the program

• How long does Roon go without being able to load?
    It takes about 18 hours I guess

• If you close Roon and try to reopen does it still sit at this screen?
    yes, that first time

• Are you able to use your computer at this time or is it entirely locked up?
    I can use the computer but I have to force another window to open on top bc the roon screen is fullscreen. I want to reiterate that during this hanging the CPU and memory are not heavily impacted. the cpu usage ranges from .1 percent to maybe 1.5 percent and almost no memory

after the program loads the first time it then takes about 7 minutes to open each time. I’m not worried about that and I am assuming if I get your hardware that will be ameliorated.

I also want to give a few more facts.

1. The Roon Core is still processing the audio leveling. It’s just chugging away on that. at this pace it will take a week to crunch. Not worried about that either
  2. even while it is processing the audio leveling the program works fine. I can click through and play music with very little delay. I assume when this completes it will be quite speedy

about the backup… The note says that I have no backup and need one. I performed a backup. I also set it up to backup every 4 days. The dialog box is still there and I cant close it. I just ignore it. maybe next week when the analyzing of the audio leveling is done I will close the program and when I reopen the dialog box will be gone? sound reasonable @dylan

Hey @Ben_Katz,

Thanks for the details here.

Yes, this will likely take a good amount of time with your library size. Things will certainly be a bit slower during this time since your machine is processing everything. As mentioned above, it may be helpful to use RoonServer to alleviate this.

Can you share a screenshot of exactly what you’re seeing here? Once you have a backup and backups scheduled you typically shouldn’t be seeing this message, but knowing exactly what you’re seeing will definitely help.

Thanks,
Dylan

I don’t have a way to do that since its outputting to my TV and I don’t have email there

Ok. So I stopped the audio leveling. It was going to take forever. I reloaded Roon and the backup error did not return

Hey @Ben_Katz,

Good to know that you aren’t seeing that anymore!

With audio analysis turned off, you’ll instead be utilizing on demand analysis:

The entire library is analyzed in the background, and when you start playback of an un-analyzed track, audio analysis is performed on demand.

By default, Roon devotes roughly 30% of one CPU core to the task of background analysis, and uses 100% of one CPU core for on-demand analysis. While these defaults make the performance impact of audio analysis less visible, it also means that it can take a very long time.

If you have any questions just let me know!

-Dylan

1 Like

I turned it back on but it is analyzing about 8K tracks a day on the 2nd fastest setting. At that rate It could take 3 months…

A post was merged into an existing topic: Trial extension