Trouble setting up Auralic Aries Femto / Settings keep jumping back / Output too quiet

Hi,
I am having trouble setting up my Auralic Aries Femto with Roon (Lightning DS works fine, but I`m thinking to change to the Roon software after my trial).

I have an iMac running as Core.

I then downloaded the App to run Roon on my iPad. Under “Settings” in “Audio” I the find my Auralic twice, once as Roon Ready and once as Airplay Device. I went into the “device settings”, set the Auralic as Renderer only and volume fixed. I installed the same settings in the iPad app.

Without changing anything the settings seem to switch/jump. Sometimes everything woks perfectly, sometimes there is no connection, the “volume settings” frequently jump back from “fixed” to “device volume” and now, even when there is a signal and the settings have been put back to “volume fixed” again, the output level is far too low.

When clicking the “info” button in the device setup/roon I can jump into the Lightning DS setup - there under Streamer I have set the Auralic under Streamer mode/Work mode as Lightning device and also disabled the volume control so not tom interfere with the fixed volume level.

Maybe Im getting something wrong but Im a little helpless here - any recommendations/trouble shooting?

… also I have now disabled all other Devices other than the Auralic Aries Femto “Roon Ready” and set Aries Femto as Renderer only and Volume as fixed in Core (iMac) and App (iPad) - it plays and DAC shows correct sampling rate - but still way too quiet… Any help wold be really great…

Really can’ get it to work - I would suppose I’m doing something wrong - but the Auralic lightning DS App works just fine, correct output volume and correct sampling rate… do I have to send a mail to technical support?

Just checked my Auralic Aries Femto, which has been working correctly with Roon since I got it over a year ago. I’m currently using firmware 5.5 (beta), although it worked fine with the latest non-beta firmware. Volume is set to Fixed in Roon’s Audio Device Setup, and Volume Control is shown as off in Lightning DS on my iPad. Roon Ready is on, AirPlay and Spotify Connect off. Work Mode is Lightning Device. MQA Pass-through is off (my DAC is PCM only).

Thanx for the feedback - I have the same settings - no matter what I do - it stays really really quiet. I dont have this issue when I use any other source, nor when I use the Lightning DS App - so it must be something with the settings or the software - I dont get it…

Hi @Christoph_Longree ----- Thank you for the report and sorry to hear of the troubles. Let’s see if we can figure out what is going on here.

To help aide in our understanding of this behavior, may I very kindly ask you for the following:

• What device is the Femto feeding into?

• Leaving the Femto “Roon Ready zone” enabled (Airplay disabled), please provide screenshots of:

• The signal path leaving Roon when the issue is occurring.
    • The settings being used with the device in Roon via the “device setup” window.
    • If you have the DSP engine enabled, please also include those settings as well.

-Eric

Eric - thanx for the reply. It‘s feeding into a McIntosh C52. Device Settings Aries Femto as Renderer or Renderer and Decoder (both settings have the same problem). Volume set as fixed. DSP I have not touched at all yet. How do I post screenshots in the forum? - I‘ll send some later…

Thanks for getting in touch @Christoph_Longree!

You can upload screenshots by either dragging + dropping them into the “response” window OR you use the “upload” feature:

31%20PM

-Eric

These are screenshots from my settings from the iMac running as Core, the iPad and the Lightning Settings for the Aries Femto Streamer…

… and the signal path…

Hope this helps solve the problem… :wink:

Hello @Christoph_Longree,

1. Right click on the AURALiC ARIES device logo next to the volume control on the bottom right of your screen. A small menu should pop up. Select the Zone Settings option. In this screen, set the “Volume Leveling” feature to “Off”.
  2. In the Device Setup page for the AURALiC ARIES, set the MQA Capabilities to “No MQA support”. This will result in the best performance for your system.

Let us know if this fixes your problem! Hope you are enjoying Roon otherwise!

-John

Thanx - changed the settings - at first Problem remained…

I then changed to Lightning DS App to compare. Everything’s fine with Lightning.

After I switched ack to Roon again everything worked - all good now.

Is it possible that Lightning somehow interferes with Roon?

I’ll see if settings remain fixed tomorrow - after switching off later.

Thanx for your support :+1:t2:

… well - picking up the Issue - restarted the App this morning - same Problem. Volume level back down - had to start the song in Lightning DS (which works perfectly) and only after this Roon would play at normal volume. Also settings in Volume jumped back from “Fixed” to “Device Volume”… really don`t get it…

Same problem I had yesterday (see above).

Is there a problem when having both Apps installed?

… next Issue - even though everything is in it`s right place it tells me “no audio devices” - when I pop up the setting it shows me the Aries Femto though.

Again - I crosscheck with Lighntning DS - no problem, finds the Aries right away, plays tunes in correct Volume level and the right sampling rate…

… sorry guys, I really want to like Roon and work with it - but at the moment I am spending 90% of my time trying to get it to work. No use in all the nice features if the main reason for having it - playing music - does`nt work.

I would have a strong suggestion that its me getting stuff mixed up, but then why is it Lightning works without any issues - also I really dont understand how settings jump back without any active intervention, then it won`t find the device even though it jumps up in settings… things seem to be really messed up (for no apparent reason, as all I did was install the software and put the settings as suggested).

Maybe there is a problem of interference with other Apps - anything known?

… it would be great if problems could be solved so that I can work with the software, as I would really like to - but as things are at the moment I am tempted to drop out… maybe someone can guide me through so I can change from trial to lifetime membership…

… okay - referring to my above posts/issues - had to restart it from the Core - now it finds the Aries Femto. Im sure this all cant be right, there must be some way to get it to work steadily.

Any recommendations/support?

Problem remains - I have to jump into the Lightning App, start a Track from there, then quit, restart the Roon Remote App and only then do I get full Volume. Each time I pause and/or quit and restart Roon same Problem reoccurs…

Was hoping to get some help here… ???

Well - looks like I found the source of evil (in case someone else is experiencing the same problems, maybe this helps). After trial and error and a long exclusion process I decided to restart everything. I turned off the Auralic using the installed Lightning App on my iPhone (used the iPhone just by chance as I was sitting near the phone, I usually always use the iPad to control the AUralic). When I clicked “My Auralic” to shut it down I found a Roon sign in the Lightning App - and some strange settings. I decided to delete the Lightning App from my iPhone and all problems have somehow vanished since.

Now I have no explanation for this, but it appears that somehow the Lightning App on the iPhone caused the problems or interfered with the Roon settings on the iPad (or maybe the Auralic was receiving different signals from different devices?) - I really have no clue.

But I am happy that everything is working now - gives me some time to explore Roon… :slight_smile:

1 Like