Trouble switching Macbook Pro from Roon core to remote

Can you detail how you moved the core from the MBP to to 5k iMac as it could be something there.

I used Migration Assistant to move the core from the MBP to the 5K iMac.

Best regards,

Mark Salkind

I think that is your issue…there are quite detailed steps for moving a core from one machine to another in the knowldgebase pages here https://kb.roonlabs.com/Migration

Yes, you have effectively cloned Roon which I don’t think works. It should have been a fresh install on the new machine and then use Roon back ups to restore your old settings.

1 Like

There are many things OSX works very well at…moving Roon (or many other client server based installations) is not one of them. Time machine backups are fraught with issues for the database. User Application migration is at best often a miss. Cloning is possibly the best option but that brings its own issues at a broader level.

Backup your databases, Install roon on the new machine and then restore your databases and you should be tickety boo as they say. All other methods YMMV

Thanks for jumping in so promptly to help. Just to be clear, I’m not having any problem with the migration of Roon to the new 5k iMac. The problem is with the Macbook Pro, which was where the Roon core was installed. Let me go through the steps you are outlining:

1. Backup Roon database on the new iMac
  2. Delete Roon and its library from the new iMac (it’s already been migrated there)
  3. Install Roon on the new iMac (download)
  4. Restore Roon database from backup

If I do this, will it address the problems I described with the Macbook Pro?

Thanks again,

Mark Salkind
marksalkind@gmail.com

I’m out and about so not really able to spend time on this…but @support should get some attention from the support folks. I thin’ the issue is as you migrated from one machine with user migration it’s not letting go of the fact that the audio device is now somewhere else…as far as the iMac is concerned.

There might be some way to remove this reference in the iMac but above my pay grade :wink:

Hi Mark,

I deleted your new thread. We try and keep the same question under one thread. To get supports attention, include @support in your message.

When you deleted Roon from your MacBook Pro after migration, you say you deleted the Roon folder from your Library folder. Did you also delete RAATServer or maybe RoonBridge?

If that doesn’t help, I’m sure Support will be along tomorrow.

Cheers, Greg

Greg – Yes, each time I’ve deleted Roon from the Macbook Pro, I’ve also deleted the RAAT Server. I don’t have RoonBridge on the laptop (at least to the best of my knowledge).

I didn’t include @support in my original message. I submitted a second message because the problem at this point is with the Macbook Pro, which I can’t get to recognize the MSB Analog DAC; it’s recognizing an Audioengine DAC that is no longer connected to the laptop (but used to be). The new iMac is working perfectly with Roon core on it.

Best regards,

Mark
marksalkind@gmail.com

@Mark_Salkind is it that you are not seeing the DAC on the MBP in roon or you are not seeing in in OSX/MOS on the MBP? Id\f you are not seeing in the Roon interface on the MBP it could be that it still thinks its on the iMac as you essentially cloned the Roon install from the MBP…Just a hunch but I am sure the support guys will be on as its flagged to them now

Mark,

I agree with @wizardofoz that it was the migration method to your iMac, carrying over some unwanted settings.

I think we should leave the fix to Support.

Cheers, Greg

wizardofoz – thanks so much for all your responses. You’ve been very generous.

The MSB Analog DAC does not show up in Roon when connected via USB to the MBP. However, the MSB Analog DAC does show up in the Sound preferences of OSX, under the output menu.

What shows up in Roon under “Connected to this Mac” is an Audioengine DAC, which is spurious, since the Audioengine DAC is no longer connected to the MBP (it’s connected to the new iMac).

Thanks again,

Mark
marksalkind@gmail.com

If you have a backup of your database then it might be worth a shot to completely remove the iMac installation and library folders too and start fresh with a database restore.

Hi @Mark_Salkind ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your observations with us. The feedback is very appreciated and my apologies for the troubles.

Moving forward, I want to just make sure I am understanding everything correctly :sunglasses:

• You migrated your core (using “Migration Assistant”) from a Macbook Pro to a new iMac computer, and moved your Audioengine DAC + desktop speakers to the new computer as well.

• I saw some of our other users provided you with a link to our knowledge base on how to migrate your Roon core . By chance were these directions every taken advantage of? Please confirm.
  • After moving your core to the iMac, you wish to use the MacBook Pro as a remote to control the iMac with the MSB Analog DAC attached. However, this configuration is not recognizing the MSB analog DAC but rather, Roon thinks the Audioengine DAC is still mounted to this device.

• No issues when the MacBook Air is acting as a Roon remote with the MSB analog DAC.

Here is what I would recommend:

1. Before you do ANYTHING - Confirm that you still have a Roon generated backup created from the DB that was originally being hosted on the Macbook Pro.

2. Once confirmed, I would like you to please completely remove Roon from all three devices (iMac, MBP, and MBA). To achieve this you will want to delete the “Roon” and “RAATServer” folders from each device, making sure to empty the trash bin each time.

• Procedure:
  • Locate your Roon database according to these instructions
  • Delete both the Roon and RAATServer folders.
  • Empty trash.
  1. I would like you bring each device back online in this order using the recommended methods:
  • iMac = Following instructions found here restore from your backup. Confirm that the application launches and that things seem stable.

• MacBook Pro (Remote) = Visit our website and download Roon for OSX. Remembering that on launch you will be selecting the iMac as your core machine.

• MacBook Air (Remote) = Visit our website and download Roon for OSX. Remembering that on launch you will be selecting the iMac as your core machine.

Let me know how it goes!
-Eric

Eric – thanks for responding. Before proceeding with what you recommend, I want to confirm some things and ask a few questions.

I first migrated the MPB apps and content to the new iMac using Apple Migration Assistant. Subsequently, I created a backup of the DB on the iMac to an external hard drive, deleted Roon from the iMac (including the library folder and RAAT server) and then downloaded Roon OSX, and completed a restore of the backup as your instructions outline. So initially, I didn’t follow the instructions on migrating your Roon core; but subsequently I did (and that does not resolve the problem with the MBP not recognizing the MSB Analog DAC).

I can perform a Roon generated backup of the DB on the iMac (that was originally being hosted on the Macbook Pro). I will do that – I already have one from July 15th, but I’ll create a new one today before proceeding.

You tell me to remove Roon from all three computers. Please confirm that the following is what you are instructing me to do: delete the Roon folder in Applications, delete the Roon database folder in library, and delete the RAAT server folder in Library. Why not just delete the entire Roon folder in the Library – only the Roon database in the Library? Please clarify this.

Please clarify the Roon deletion process so that I can proceed with what you outline.

One thing I’d like to note: while the MBP doesn’t recognize the MSB Analog DAC in Roon under “Connected to this Device,” it is recognized in System Preferences>Sound>Output.

Best regards,

Mark
marksalkind@gmail.com

Hi @Mark_Salkind ----- Thank you for touching base with me, very appreciated!

Ok, a few things moving forward…

1. Thank you for clarification, this gives me a better understanding of what was performed the first time around (:thumbsup:):

“I first migrated the MPB apps and content to the new iMac using Apple Migration Assistant. Subsequently, I created a backup of the DB on the iMac to an external hard drive, deleted Roon from the iMac (including the library folder and RAAT server) and then downloaded Roon OSX, and completed a restore of the backup as your instructions outline. So initially, I didn’t follow the instructions on migrating your Roon core; but subsequently I did (and that does not resolve the problem with the MBP not recognizing the MSB Analog DAC).”

1. In regard to your question(s):

“You tell me to remove Roon from all three computers. Please confirm that the following is what you are instructing me to do: delete the Roon folder in Applications, delete the Roon database folder in library, and delete the RAAT server folder in Library. Why not just delete the entire Roon folder in the Library – only the Roon database in the Library? Please clarify this.”

Confirming that you have the correct understanding of my directions. Just to iterate, once more. On ALL THREE machines you will want to perform the following:

• Delete the Roon application, from the “Applications” folder.

• Delete your “Roon” and “RAATServer” folders from the “Library” directory (Knowledge Base: DB location).

• Empty your trash bin.

-Eric

Eric – @support. Ok, I just completed everything you told me to do and I still have the same problem.

iMac with Roon as core is stable.
The MBP still does not recognize the MSB Analog DAC and still shows the Audioengine DAC under “Connected to this Mac” in Roon audio settings.

I’ve tried to upload two snapshots of the Audio settings – one for the MBP and one for the MBA.

Not sure where to go at this point. There was a thread I found from Sarah_Clement, who may have had a similar problem and solved it by "de-migrating her new MBP back to the old one. She also talked about re-installing macOS Sierra – which seems bizarre to me. But for some reason, when I download a new version of Roon software to the MBP and ask it to connect to the iMac Roon core, the Audioengine DAC appears in the Roon audio settings as “connected to this Mac” when in fact it isn’t! I’m not sure I fully understood what she did and of course I’m not sure how too contact her.

Suggestions?

Best regards,

Mark
marksalkind@gmail.com

Hi @Mark_Salkind ------ Thank you for the follow up and more importantly for giving the proposed test a shot. I am very sorry to hear that this issue has persisted even after starting completely fresh on all device.

Moving forward, I would like to grab a few sets of logs from you in preparation for my team meeting tomorrow where I’d like to discuss this behavior you’re experiencing. I will be contacting you momentarily with instructions.

Lastly, can you verify which devices each of the screenshots came from. For example:

Screenshot 1 = MacbookPro (Roon remote)
Screenshot 2 = iMac (Roon core)

-Eric

A post was split to a new topic: Issues with seeing endpoints after switching Cores