Trouble with playback to networked endpoint

I’ve been suffering a similar issue with both Qobuz streaming and local content. Like you I feel it’s only become a problem since the last Roon update, but I wasn’t a customer for long before the update so it’s not conclusive.

I’ve spent some time experimenting and the issue is location based for me. Whatever endpoint I set up in my living room is affected, I’ve tried 3 different Raspberry Pi based streamers. All of them work fine when connected to the core via LAN cable / switch in my office. The network connection to my living room is power line Ethernet. Once the endpoint is affected it refuses to play again without a reboot. I have the feeling that looking at the playing queue on the control app can trigger the problem but again, that’s unproven. While trouble shooting this I’ve found that there’s a fault in the network cable between the living room endpoint and the home plug network point. The cable’s long enough that I’m waiting a replacement that I’ve ordered so I can’t say if this is a fix for me yet.

To conclude I think that there is a network issue between my core and the endpoint but feel that the latest Roon version is less tolerant of the fault than the older version. Given the fault is intermittent I’m not sure why it takes a reboot of the endpoint to get it working again. Once the latency issue has struck there seems no prospect of the core and endpoint reestablshing contact until the endpoint is rebooted.

Powerlines are a known issue with roon and are not recommended.

Hi @killdozer,

As Ged mentioned, we have often seen issues surrounding powerline adapters and we recommend always using a direct Ethernet connection if possible and then adding un-managed switches if more outputs are needed. We discuss this a bit in our Networking Best Practices Guide.

Given that your endpoints are working fine through the switch but not through the powerline, I would say that the powerline is most likely the cause for the troubles here. Please do let me know if everything seems more stable when the Ethernet cable arrives.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks @noris,

The ethernet cable has improved things but the issues still remain. I’m still a little curious as none of the Chromecast endpoints suffer from anything similar and they’re on far more dubious long distance wireless connections and the path between my core and the wireless router involves the same powerline network.

Put another way, through the powerline and ethernet to Raspberry Pi leads to the endpoint failing to play until rebooted on occasion. Through powerline and then wireless to Chromecast is fine. The issue with the Pi is certainly location based and I have no issues when using the Pi endpoint connected to the same ethernet switch as the core.

Best,
Carl

Hi @killdozer,

Sorry to hear that you’re still experiencing issues here. Hmm, what is the model/manufacturer of your router? I am wondering if there is some configuration changes that we can make to the router for Roon to work better, these are documented at the end of our Networking Best Practices guide that I previously linked.

If the cable is long enough, have you looked into adding an unmanaged switch to connect the Pi’s and then have the cable plugged in directly to the router? Also as a note, although hardwired is always preffered, if this is not possible then I would look into mesh networks such as Orbi or Eero as these are still a bit more stable than powerline adapters.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris I do appreciate the time you’re taking. I have wondered about the switch myself, will test by removing from the chain and hardwiring the endpoint to the router (TV and netflix be damned :wink: ). My router’s a Virgin media v3 and am aware it’s limited, am not above a better router as a solution either. Will take the time to read as suggested and methodically test. It might be a couple of weeks until I finish as work has me on the road in the meantime.

Thanks again,
Carl

Hi @killdozer,

No worries at all, whenever you’re ready to pick this back up just let me know.
I look forward to hearing your results and safe travels!

Thanks,
Noris

hi @noris, so the switch isn’t the issue. I ran a few tests last night and hardwiring the endpoint to the router failed to fix the issue. It’s looking as though power line is the issue. I’m still struggling with that as the problem because every stream comes through there but wireless endpoints (Chromecasts) are faultless. Even those two floors up. Hard wired ethernet is problematic as I’m currently renting and that’s likely to be the case for another 24 months.

I have one more straw to clutch at, and a solution. My core is on a virtual machine running on my workstation. The network bridging for these can be temperamental. I’ll test that by putting a core on my laptop, or as a service installed on the machine directly. If that fails I’m happy to go the NUC route and move the core to the router. I’ll let you know if it’s the VM network bridging, if that’s the case I’ll also trial a couple of solutions and keep you updated in case it helps others.

Thanks,
Carl

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.