Troubleshooting Roon with Creative Soundblaster X7

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel I7-4790k CPU @4.00GHz
32GB memory RAM
Windows 10 64b
Rooun built number: 1.7 (build 571) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet
Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller 1000/1000Mbps

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB connection to DAC creative soundblaster X7 limited Edition (white)
DAC is connected to Kinyo 5.1 surround system

Description Of Issue

I am experimenting troubles using the Roon AUDIO on my pc.
Audio is automatically identified as “Sound Blaster X7” in both WASAPI and ASIO modes, besides the “System Output” option.

1. In using Creative Soundblaster X7 in ASIO mode, sometimes i ear music and sometimes i dont ear the music (after rebooting both Roon and the DAC sometimes it works… but more often dont).
    WHEN it works, i can manage to liste my files in stereo mode (i.e. a .dsf extracted from SACD). Nonetheless, if the following file is a surround file (i.e. a .dsf surround file extracted from my SACD) the system freezes. Roon freezes and the player dont start. Also in this cenario, i cannot even reproduce another stereo file (my files or Tidal). Nothing works (even if i change Device Setup to System Output or Sound Blaster WASABI) and i have to reboot both Roon and the DAC for a couple of times until i can ear again sound.

2. If I start Roon and use Sound Blaster WASAPI mode, sound is stable BUT i dont have configurations in the advanced “device setup” to manage 5.1 Channel Layout (so everything is delivered is downmix to stereo). SO, if i play a .dsf surround file it will downmix to stereo automatically, and so i cannot take advantage of the 5.1 system.

i hope explanation was clear enough, it was difficult to me to cover all details of the problem. Looking forward for your answer.
Luis

Hello @Luis_Clemente,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for reaching out! Can you please confirm that you’re using the latest firmware/driver for you Sound Blaster?

Hello!
I am using the windows 10 firmware PCFW_EN_200321.exe (releases on 23 April 2020).

Is the latest one on creative sound blaster website

Hi @Luis_Clemente,

Can you please reproduce this behavior and note the exact local time + date + track it occurs next on? I would like to enable diagnostics after getting this info to see if your logs by any chance show any other clues.

No problem.
I tryed again to play a 5.1 surround .dsf (SACD extracted file) in ASIO MODE (with my DAC Creative SOundblaster X7)
Time: 21.08 (Portugal Time)
File was: Breathe (in the Air) from Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side of the moon Album.
FILE WAS PLAYED WELL! WHEN THE SONG WAS FINISHED THE NEXT ONE (ON THE RUN… same album, same format) PLAYER JUST STOPPED AND I COULD NOT PLAY ANY OTHER FILE (NOR .dsf 5.1, nor .dsf 2.0, nor normal .flac). PLAYER JUST DONT START.

I RESET ROON and entered again in ASIO MODE… (time: 21.11)… and i successfully played (ASIO mode) the “On the RUn” file (same pink floyd album) in normal .flac (44h-16b, stereo file). I played other .flac files from different albums in stereo and everything is OK. (time: 21.15).
I tryed again to play a .dsf surround file (Long Distance Runaround, from YES album Fragile). Player dont start.
I tryed to play a .flac stereo file from other Yes album (I see You, from album YES)… player dont work.
I RESET ROON AGAIN (time: 21:17)

Problem is the same… everytime i move from a surround file to a stereo file, ROON just stops and dont play

I wonder if you can answer regarding my question, since i am finishing my trial period and this is a fundamental question to solve in order for me to take a decision.

Hi @Luis_Clemente,

Thanks for sharing those timestamps.

I’ve tried to enable diagnostics mode and what this action should have done is automatically upload a log set to our servers, but I am not seeing this log report come in.

Can I please ask you to manually send me a set of your Roon logs by using these instructions?

I will also follow up regarding your trial period via private message, thanks!

Hello again, i did again the same test. And everytime i switch from a flac or m4a file to a dsd 5.1 surround file, Roon crash and the player dont start and stay freeze. I then have to reset Roon and my Creative X7 DAC.

LINK to LOGS is here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhVr2DnHGsP1wtNxaC9giRUySsnJKw?e=nS69KE

1 Like

Hello, is there any answer regarding Roon’s freezing when playing .DSD 5.1 and then returning to .DSD 2.0?

Hi @Luis_Clemente,

Thanks for sharing that log set! Looking through the log you seem to be getting a RAAT__OUTPUT_PLUGIN_STATUS_DEVICE_OPEN_FAILED failed: failed to initialize asio output error message.

Is the behavior the same if you try to use another app to control the ASIO output? You can use Foobar 2000 with the ASIO Plugin + DSF Plugin to test for this.

I have no problems in opening any file (including .dsf stereo or surround) in foobar or MusicBee.

Hi @Luis_Clemente,

Thanks for confirming that you don’t have the issue in Foobar. I spoke to our hardware team regarding your case and since we don’t have this DAC in-house to verify behavior, we suggest reaching out directly to Creative audio to see if they can help. We will also reach out to them from our end, but it always helps to hear from the customer too.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.