Trying to get Roon to run inside Chrome on Linux

Ahhh… yes. Indeed.

Didn’t think about that, being a card carrying member of the “older generation”. :slight_smile:

You must be a power user. For my home needs I find Libre Office does all I need. Other than Leisure Suit Larry I’ve never been much of a gamer. My son’s got a PS4 for games.

Hasn’t gaming in Linux improved somethat: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=linux

Hmm, What do you call the older generation?

Ha, LS Larry. Do you let your son play that one? While Linux is getting some AAA titles, there are many games not yet available.

Off topic, I’ve been trying to side load Roon on to my Amazon Fire TV and it when it starts it is in phone mode and none of the buttons work. Anyone get this working?

For me? Anyone th\at can either see 60 just ahead, or in the rear view mirror. LOL

Never thought of myself that way. But maybe… Libre does not cut it for me, in fact, neither does the browser based functions of Office 365. Both of them are OK for 80% of what I do, but ultimately I can’t live without that other 20%.

Now we are into a topic that I only have one, tiny little data point of knowledge of. That’s that my adult son, a BIG Steam user, knew about it coming to Linux, and knew I knew a little Linux myself, considered using in. But he ultimately decided that Windows was the superior platform. I believe (but not certain) it came down to driver support.

[quote=“Rugby, post:24, topic:12640”]
Do you let your son play that one?
[/quote] no :joy:

They had a great sense of humour.

Evan - My interest for Roon inside Chrome, on Linux, is - as previously stated - just due to the frustration of having a Linux machine as my “daily” PC, and have little way to control Roon. Previously I had been running a Windows VM (Oracle VM Virtualbox) to run my Windows programs including freeware TeamViewer, to RDP into my headless NUC’s Roonserver. Still doesn’t let me control Roon. But at least can tinker with RoonServer.

But last week (or week before?) I learned that I can run Roon alongside RoonServer on the NUC. Don’t recall who told me that. You maybe? Anyway, that changed everything, AND made a lightbulb go off. A BFO! (a blinding flash of the obvious, as it were. :slight_smile: )

TeamViewer has a Linux client. Works great! So now I keep one virtual screen with TeamViewer running all the time, RDP’d into my RoonServer’s NUC, where I can spin up Roon any time I need it. Granted, I’m sure there are performance impacts of running Roon on a box that was supposed to be dedicated to RoonServer. But it beats no way to control it without grabbing my iPad.

On the outside chance you were not aware of this option, I thought I would share.

PS - I don’t think TeamView uses RDP, but something proprietary.
PPS - Before I did this I upgraded my NUC’s Win Home to Win Pro so that I could run its RDP server. Then I RDP’d from Linux into it. The TeamViewer client is MUCH more robust than what is available on Ubuntu.

thanks @scolley, but I’ve only got one licensed version of Windows …it’s Win7 Pro on an old laptop I used to configure my home alarm system. I don’t spend much time in front of my PC so it doesn’t bother me that much…until I happen to be at my desk and my phone rings whilst there’s music playing.

I’ll keep trying to get it going in Chrome as ARC Welder and other tools mature.