Turning Off Core Machine

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
I am new to Roon and in my trial period. My interest in Roon is using it as a player for Qobuz and not storing or cataloging any collection. My initial finding is that even for this limited use I still have to turn on my core computer if I want to use any other computer in the household to listen to Qobuz.This seems like a waste of electricity and resources, not to mention more availability to hack into my core computer as it must stay on and unattended.

I can see the point of having a core computer to access a personal collection remotely but is there any point to having a core computer on for streaming only as with Qobuz?

Qobuz, like any other streaming service, allows me to download and install its player on as many computers as I want without complication, or having to have a “core” computer. Why not Roon for this limited purpose of streaming?

Am I missing something in my trial of Roon? If not, I would suggest to Roon that the whole idea of having a “core” will be on the verge of obsolescence as more and more people stop digital “collecting” and just stream music.

As such, the streaming function for Roon ought to be available on all of a customer’s computers regardless of turning on a “core.” in my opinion.

The Roon core device must be on to use the Roon core device. Otherwise, just stream Qobuz directly from Qobuz without using Roon. The main purpose of Roon is not simply to stream music from Tidal and Qobuz.

I started using Roon to manage my collection and have now added Qobuz. Yes, you can run Qobuz on other machines, but I find the Roon interface better and continue to use it unless I am accessing Qobuz away from home.

Yes! :slightly_smiling_face: I suggest you read How Roon works, What is Roon? and Why Core? to understand why the Core is essential to Roon.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. The Roon app has advantages for streaming that the Qobuz player does not like gapless playback with Chromecast, among other things. This is why I am asking this question.

I read all this but I see no advantage to the core if I am not cataloging a collection. How does the core have anything to do with improving streaming?

For one, you can stream Tidal and Qobuz using Roon core on your computer and using RAAT to send the music to your Roon ready end-point and on to your connected sound system. When I discovered my Oppo 203 was a Roon ready device, I did not need to purchase a new streaming device.

Compatibility for one. Roon can stream to lots of different devices. 2: DSP. 3: Unrivalled music discovery. 4: Separating audio and computer gear. 5. User experience …

Roon isn’t about collecting music: it’s about playing music! Core keeps track of what I like and continually introduces me to music tailored to my musical tastes.

Roon is not for everyone. If you just want to stream Tidal and/or Qobuz, maybe you don’t need Roon. I wouldn’t pay $119 per year for something I didn’t want or need.

As I said before, I like to stream with Roon as it has advantages over the Tidal and Qobuz players particularly that Roon plays gapless with Chromecast whereas both Tidal and Qobuz players do not. My problem is having to turn on the Core computer everytime to just stream Qobuz from other computers. It sounds like I have no choice since no one disputes that turning on the Core is necessary even just for streaming. In my mind this is a drawback in Roon, however, and it was quite unexpected on first launch…

Depending on the OS you could simply switch Core to the machine you’re using and stream from there. Go to Settings > General and disconnect the Core (if it is turned off and you’ll have the option to ‘Select a different core’ on Mac and Windows computers.)

Roon core runs on a computer. It has to run to use Roon. Use the Tidal and/or Qobuz apps if you don’t want to use Roon. It’s that simple. Or, install the Roon core software on every computer in the house and switch to that core if you want to use only that computer for Roon at that time.

This seems to be what I am going to have to do if I only want one computer on at any one time. I was hoping there was a better solution (other than buying two licenses) but apparently there is not. Kind of a shame in my opinion. Thanks.

You only need one computer, the Core machine, on at a time.

Your endpoints can be controlled with RPi running Roon Bridge. I don’t believe the endpoints need access to the internet, just your locale network.

You don’t need a computer to control Roon, an iOS device running Roon Remote will do.

Don’t know if you consider an RPi or an iOS device as computers. For these purposes, I don’t. I, like most people who use them, leave my RPi on all the time.

You only need one license. You will only run one Roon core at a time. You can load the Roon core on as many computers (or NUC’s if you don’t call that a computer) as you want. I think once you start using Roon, you will quickly figure out that it is best to simply use the Roon core on one device and not be switching back and forth. You can access or control your Roon core device from any other computer, iPad, iPhone, or Android device that has the Roon app installed.

Consider the practicality of this hypothetical. I have a teenage son who wants to listen in his room to Qobuz through Roon on his tablet because unlike the Qobuz player Roon has lyrics. He has to come into my personal office and turn on my private Windows desktop which maintains the core. He may or may not turn off my core computer when he is done. If I am keen on my privacy, do I really want my privacy potentially invaded like this by other family members? I really hope Roon changes the core architecture at least when it comes to streaming from Qobuz and other streaming sources and allows diret access to streaming services with any single computer alone bypassing the core.

Sorry, you’ve got a better chance of seeing hell freeze over.

The architecture is the crux of the Roon software’s identity.

The Core is the Roon software.

The Roon architecture is not going to be changed because it inconveniences, as of now, only you.

Not meant as a snark. Just trying to bring you back to reality.

Direct access to streaming services is provided by the software of the particular streaming service.

1 Like

That’s one reason that most people eventually purchase a Nucleus or build a NUC to run the Roon core. It runs 24/7 and provides basically instantaneous access to just about every album ever recorded as long as it is in the Tidal or Qobuz library. Running Roon on a laptop or desktop is not the best way to use Roon. I ran it on my laptop for two months before I purchased a Nucleus. Now, it’s perfect.

The only possible change I am aware of that could result in not needing a local Core is if Roon were to support Core in the Cloud. That is a (very) long term possibility and you shouldn’t make purchasing decisions based on it.

Currently all audio goes through the Core. No Core, no audio.

In the meantime, if you don’t want other family members accessing your desktop you could run the Core on a NUC using ROCK.

Sounds like you need to set up a dedicated Roon core, say… an NUC with Rock, or a Mac mini or something. Using your personal, private computer in your office for the core is not working for you.

2 Likes