Twice a week TIDAL stops working

I have this issue periodically. Maybe every 1-2 weeks, tracks from Tidal will fail to play, stopping play altogether at times; then I go to Services, and the Tidal service continues spinning.

The workaround is to click Tidal, click Log out, then Log in again to Tidal to reauthenticate. Then it resumes working as expected. No favorites, tracks, etc are lost.

It is a pain though, especially without user feedback—I had to figure out that it lost its authentication by trial and error. It would be great if it simply prompted me to log in again if needed.

1 Like

Hey @Tristan_Harward, have you tried playing local content when you’re experiencing this issue? If/when the issue occurs again, let’s try that and see what happens.

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Here’s my setup in more detail:

• Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs)
    • Roon Core running on a 2011 Mac Mini (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, MacOS High Sierra, 16GB RAM)
    • Issue occurs periodically on any Roon client/receiver: Ropieee on a RaspberryPi4, the Core Mac Mini itself, and RoonBridge on a MacBook Pro. All have the same playback issue with Tidal tracks.
  • Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)
    • Wired gigabit LAN to a Ubiquiti EdgeRouterX, perhaps through a gigabit switch (or direct).
    • Internet is a DOCSIS3 cable modem with a 350Mbps downlink. No other internet issues noted at the time of these issues.
    • Roon clients on a WiFi connection through 2 rock-solid Ubiquiti UniFi access points.
  • Audio devices in use
    • Topping D10 DAC on the Mac Mini
    • Fubar II (An old yet clean PCM2702 USB DAC) on the RoonBridge
    • HiFiBerry DAC+ on the Ropieee
  • Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library)
    • Music stored on an external USB drive, as well as a Synology NAS on a network share (all local network music works reliably)
    • Tidal account connected (exhibits the issue) – works normally 90% of the time, every 1-3 weeks appears to lose the account and fails to play files until logged out / logged back in.

@Tristan_Harward, you mentioned using a gigabit switch, is it managed? Can you give me the model number?

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

The next time you encounter this issue, note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

It is an unmanaged 10/100/1000 Netgear 5-port switch. It shouldn’t be impactful here.

Now that you mention, is there any special port or network configuration Tidal needs to work in Roon?

I will be on the lookout for this to occur again and will note the exact time. Thanks for the help!

@Tristan_Harward thanks for the information, be sure to let me know as soon as you have this issue again. In the meantime, in previous cases, Google DNS and Cloudflare DNS are helpful for maintaining service connection. It would be worth giving this a try!

Just happened again just today (was working last night).

April 17th at 6:43-6:46pm EST (Fri Apr 17 22:46:33 UTC 2020). Attempted to play a few tracks/albums from Tidal at that time and for a few minutes before/after.

Fri Apr 17 22:50:29 UTC 2020 - restarted the Roon server to attempt to reconnect things, just to try.

Restarting Roon did appear to work! Tracks began playing directly after.

DNS: Turns out I am using Google DNS as default with Cloudflare as a backup and have been for quite some time :joy: My home server does run its own DNS so I can reach that server at a standard hostname inside or outside the network, but it’s just the one entry.

Anyway – let me know if you need anything else. Logs, etc. Didn’t see anything in system.log and couldn’t find any Roon logs in the usual places in Application Support, but happy to help… thanks again!

Hey @Tristan_Harward,

Could you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using this link.

Done! Thank you.

No rush on this, it is not causing me great pain.

*edit: looked at the logs. 01 starts with the restart I mentioned previously, where TIDAL began working again. 02 ends with the broken attempts, the first of which is:

04/17 18:41:46 Warn: [tidal/http] GET https://api.tidal.com/v1/tracks/127679465/playbackinfopostpaywall?countryCode=US&audioquality=HI_RES&assetpresentation=FULL&playbackmode=STREAM => Unauthorized {"status":401,"subStatus":11003,"userMessage":"The token has expired. (Expired on time)"}
04/17 18:41:46 Info: [tidal] got token expired. refreshing token

… and it continues repeating on each play attempt and not resolving on its own.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.