Two iMacs Running One Core: Can I Safely Delete The One I Don't Use?

Roon Core Machine

Mid 2011 iMac running High Sierra. Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 2.5 GHz.
Ram: 8GB 1333MHz DDR3.
Late 2019 iMac running Catalina. Processor: Quad Core Intel Core i3 @ 3.6 GHz.
Ram: 8GB 2400MHz DDR4.

So, I bought a used 2019 iMac and migrated all files from the 2011 iMac to the newer one. Now I’d like to delete RC from the 2019 and just use it as a Roon Server (use it as I would my iPhone/iPad). So, what’s the safest way to do this? FYI, the administrator name on the 2019 iMac is different from the 2011 as recommended by Apple to facilitate the transfer of data.
Thanks in advance for all help received,
Barker

You can do that, but I would keep the Roon core on both just incase you need it for some reason. It’s not hurting anything. You can use it as is for a Roon control device or Roon endpoint.

If you decide to keep it as a “backup” Roon core, you can keep it up to date by backing up your main core and using that backup to restore the “secondary” core.

Hey Jim_F, thanks for reaching out. I agree, no real reason to delete it other
than my desire to “keep things clean and simple.” Backing up the “backup core” from
the main core is the answer. Simple. Thanks for the advice.

Barker

Don’t confuse the terms “backup” and “restore.” Backup is the process of saving all your Roon core information to another location. Restore is the process of using a previous backup to copy the previously saved information to the same or a different core and thereby, restore it to the previous state.

I guess I’m doing that. I thought I would schedule a backup on the secondary core but you’re telling me that’s not necessary just restore as needed. Right?

That’s up to you. I would use and maintain one main core on a daily basis and set up automatic backups for it every night or pretty frequently. Since you are not using the other core on a regular basis, there is no reason to back it up because nothing is changing on it. If you want to keep it current, you can use the backup from your main core and restore your other core periodically, but that is not really necessary. You could just have it available in case your main core fails. At that point, you would use your latest backup from the failed core to restore the other core and then use it while you have the main core repaired or replaced, etc.

In my case, I have my main core on a Roon Nucleus, but I also have a Roon core on my Dell laptop. I use the Dell as a Roon control device but also as a Roon core device when I travel. I don’t have any local music files and don’t fool with any edits of metadata. However, before I travel, I unauthorize my Nucleus core and authorize my Dell core the night before I leave home. Roon then automatically downloads any new music links from Tidal and Qobuz to my Dell. So, I basically never have to restore my Dell. I have had to restore my Nucleus a couple times in the past several months when something got corrupted.

Okay, that’s clear. I never thought about taking Roon with me. I think I’ll try that.
Thanks for the incidental tip.
BH

You can take it with you if you mostly stream from Tidal and/or Qobuz and have a good internet source at your destination. You won’t have access to any local music files unless you copy them to an attached USB HDD for instance.

I stream Tidal and don’t do, at least not yet, local music files. Again,
thanks for your help.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.