Two-room Roon set-up recommendations with SOtM sMS-200 Neo?

I recently ordered an sMS-200 Neo mini-server to use as a Roon Bridge/Endpoint. Right now, my Roon set-up looks like this – and although it works (mostly) I’m not entirely sure I’ve got it set up right:

Office set-up: External USB HD (16TB, about 17,000 albums) > Mac Mini 1 (Core, running Roon Server/RAAT) > LAN to Airport Extreme > (ethernet cable runs down the hall to living room) >

Living room: LAN from Airport Extreme > Mac Mini 2 (running Roon Bridge) > USB DAC Switch (between Schiit Modi Multibit/Maverick TubeMagic D2) > McIntosh C28/MC 2505 > speakers.

I think the best way to incorporate the sMS-200 Neo is to eliminate the second Mac Mini in the living room as follows, but I’d appreciate any ideas you might have:

Office set-up: External USB HD (16TB, about 17,000 albums) > Mac Mini 1 (Core, running Roon Server/RAAT) > (ethernet cable runs down the hall to living room) >

Living room: LAN from Mac Mini 1 Core > sMS-200 Neo (as Bridge) > USB DAC Switch (between Schiit Modi Multibit/Maverick TubeMagic D2) > McIntosh C28/MC 2505 > speakers.

Is that the best way to do it? I don’t want to run a 50-foot USB cable from the office to the living room, but is ethernet the best way to go? Love to hear any ideas from folks here. Thanks.

Given USB performance starts to degrade from about 10-15 ft I’d definitely go with the Ethernet run. It’s certainly the most reliable domestic solution and will comfortably cope with runs up to 100m. Have you had issues with the Airport link?

Good luck.

Just replacing the second Mac mini in the living room with the sMS-200 sounds like a good plan to me. Ethernet is definitely the best way to go, especially since it is a long run as @killdozer said. Since ethernet is galvanically isolated, you won’t run into issues with noise getting in the lines or anything. Roon has its own ethernet protocol so going that route is going to be best. I really like SOtM products too, they sounds great and I never had any problems