Ultimate Roon Backup

I suppose some people do this, but I don’t remember ever seeing it discussed.

Why not purchase a NUC to setup a second Roon core device, not for your vacation home, etc., but for a Roon backup device? For the price of a NUC, you can have an “almost” foolproof Roon backup.

Many of us already have a second Roon core on a computer or laptop. However, I would guess most people do not. You could purchase a NUC and install Roon and do a monthly or weekly restore from your “primary” Roon core device backup.

I know we all do Roon database backups for this purpose, but as we learned with Roon build 880, stuff happens. You can have a second Roon core device with automatic updates turned off and always have a “fall-back” position.

With the latest Roon build 884 all backups should be good back ups. However you never know when something else could go wrong. I guess you could say, why spend the money unless/until you have to? That would be valid.

If I didn’t already have a second Roon core on my laptop, I would consider doing this. Maybe I’m just looking for an excuse to build a NUC.

When at the mother-in-law’s house I use Roon running on my Dell laptop. I’m streaming Tidal and Qobuz, but mostly Tidal in this situation. I get internet via WIFI from my iPhone or iPad Verizon hotspot data. It works very well.

Would a NUC be able to do the same thing instead of the Dell?

Only proviso I can see is the WiFi performance of the NUC but you could fix that easily with a dongle

With a stream only situation you wouldn’t even need an internal SSD for music so the low form would do, even cheaper.

I am itching to build a NUC but while my current core is ok I can’t see the need.

I deal with “holidays” with a 256 SD card with a limited library and Bluetooth phones .i am 3 parts deaf anyway :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I have an online storage locker I keep my backups in. I have 2tb I can use for whatever and I do. I have to do a bit of gymnastics to get it working because it isn’t dropbox. But it’s good to be a nerd. Dropbox is already baked in here. Had I not had my current service I would have done that.

I’m getting to the point, I don’t want to manage backups of backups. I’ll let an online storage place deal with RAID and availability.
I’ll scramble for hardware if my “core” goes down.

I effectively do this, as I have two NUCs with identical hardware.
However the image on the backup ROCK server didn’t help with the B880 update fail, as although a year old, it was still carrying the corruption that causes B88x to halt dead.

Once I have my new, “start from a fresh” build on B88x, I will be taking a backup and restoring it to my backup ROCK server, hoping that lighting doesn’t strike twice in the same place!
Still rebuilding my Playlists and identifying my Music Library.

2 Likes

Once you restore a backup it will be looking for the storage location, if thats not on a NAS then it might all be offline music.

Also a restore also names the core the same thing.

I have two silent NUCs. While the spare is a lower spec and is being used for other purposes right now it’s job is to be there if my main machine fails. It cost me £35 for a NOS OEM 5i3 board and £45 for a B stock Akasa Plato case (damaged back plate). Memory and M.2 were spares I had in the house. The damaged back plate was for the gen 5 NUC with HDMI and DisplayPort. The back plate for mine (2x DisplayPort) was unmarked.

Redundant hardware can’t save you from software errors.

I just did another restore of my Dell laptop using last night’s backup from my Nucleus. It did change the name to Nucleus. I had to reset some of the settings and change the name to Dell Laptop. Not a problem.

I also had to delete the scheduled backups since they were not appropriate for the Dell.

For some reason, when I did a restore of my Dell Roon core, I could not remember how I did it before, so I copied the Roon backups from the Nucleus attached USB drive to my Dell laptop and restored from there. While that worked fine, it was cumbersome and took a long time.

Just now, I went into Windows Explorer and mapped a network drive (F) to my Nucleus attached USB drive where all the backups are stored. That drive immediately showed up in my Nucleus backups manager. So, next time I want to restore the Dell Roon core, it will be a simple matter.

This is probably obvious to the computer people among you.

1 Like