ultraRendu streaming Roon vs Marantz ND8006 as streamer

Also turn off any of this Noise management & filtering circuitry on the USB input

Marantz Musical Digital Filtering (MMDF)
The ND8006 features the unique Marantz Musical Digital Filtering (MMDF), inspired by our audiophile reference class technology. For Marantz, using standard digital filter solutions is not an option, as this filtering is crucial to the sound reproduction of digital input signals. As a result, we invested extensively in gaining expert knowledge, leading into highly-acclaimed Marantz Music Mastering technology used in award-winning Premium Range 10 Series products. Adapted for the ND8006 hardware design, the solution is called Marantz Musical Digital Filtering. Two selectable, digital filter characteristics cater for different tastes, and each handle even the minutest of detail with loving care in the digital audio signal, transforming new media files into the finest of high-resolution playback.

1 Like

Thanks Peter - I will give the converter idea a shot. I was hoping to try the Roon AirPlay option to the ND8006 but Roon is asking for an AirPlay password when I try to enable the ND8006. I’m not sure if it’s an incompatibility thing with AirPlay 2 or what. Either way I have no idea what the ND’s AirPlay password is.

Waiting would be my best option, but I really have no idea when Marantz will be Roon-ready, so I was hoping the ultraRendu would be a good stopgap measure in the interim. Even if it only takes another 3-4 months it would be worth it to use Roon rather than deal with the HEOS app.

Thanks Robert, the ultraDigital may be the ticket here.

Yes, according to this review (https://www.qobuz.com/ie-en/info/hi-fi/bancs-d-essai/marantz-nd8006-the-exclusive180332) it is UPnP compatible. However I don’t know anything about UPnP. How would I make this work with Roon and the ND8006?

I’ve been doing some research on using the Marantz’s UPnP capability to utilize Roon and it seems like this is possible in theory. In order to test this would I need to purchase any additional hardware such as the Sonore UPnP Bridge, or would this be possible to set up strictly with the ultraRendu and settings in Sonicorbiter?

Thanks for everyone’s help on this.

No, no addiional hardware required - the Sonore UPnP Bridge is an app on the SonicorbiterOS, as with Roon Ready.
Just go to ‘Available Apps’ and install it on the UltraRendu.

Then in Settings, so if it can recognise the Marantz as an available Streamer.
If it works this App presents itself as a Roon Ready Endpoint, but sends UPnP stream to the DLNA render.
You have to have ‘Squeezebox emulation’ configured in Roon on your Core.

See the Topic at https://community.roonlabs.com/t/sonoreupnp-bridge-beta

1 Like

@Jeremey_Hunsicker

The Sonore Ultradigital splits and converters USB to SPDIF RCA coax AND I2s over HDMI. I2s uses a standard HDMI cable to acheive connection. The Ultradigital would work, but you’re a paying bunch extra for an I2s connection you don’t immediately need.

Note: The HDMI cable cannot be connected to a standard HDMI source or input.

The Schiit Eitr (or similar converter) is probably a better solution unless you plan to add a DAC that uses I2s over HDMI. (such as those manufactured by Wyred4Sound, PSAudio).

Hey Simon, I don’t have UPnP as an available app in my Sonicorbitor.

I only see Audio App Switcher, Squeezelite, MDP/DLNA Renderer, HQPlayer NAA, Roon Ready, DAC Diagnostics, and Software Manager.

I am wondering if this is no longer an option.

!

You should find it under apps>software manager

No luck here. That’s the one thing I’m missing.

Hopefully I can get in touch with Jesus tomorrow and get some help sorting this out.

It isn’t there by default you have to install it from the Available Apps. Go to Apps > Software Manager > Available Apps and click in the UPnP Bridge Icon to install it.

Thanks Karl, that did the trick. Everything seems to be working. I have had a few fits when switching between the HEOS input of the Marantz and the UPnP/Squeezebox streaming… Had to totally restart everything a couple of times. I’m doing some critical listening now… but safe to say this does the trick in getting UPnP streaming directly to the Marantz and bypassing the USB-B input.

Good to hear.
Sorry, I must be in a different time zone to you.
I’m in Dublin, Ireland so the same as the UK.

Anyway, how does that sound, compared to your USB input?

Also you should make you are running the latest version, by running ‘Software Update’, also under Apps->Software Manager.
The kernel updates are also important too.

Thanks Simon, yes I am east coast US… I will make sure I have the most recent updates. Early testing is still leaning in favor of the Marantz internal streamer; still appears to have a more “musical” and cohesive sound. I am almost convinced Marantz is doing something with their filters on that input that may need to be manually tweaked or turned on elsewhere in the unit. There are other things I can do in the Marantz to further try to optimize playback. I am hoping to talk with Marantz today and see what the deal is. Thanks for your help and getting me this far!

np - You’re welcome

1 Like