Unable to access iTunes folder through smb

After sending my answer, I tried one more time to connect from the MBP to the iMac and … this time it worked… Don’t know why, I didn’t change any setting… I had to type in the iMac username and password (the guest option wasn’t available) and now I am connected! :-))

However, adding a network share in roon still does not work…

Hi @Christian_Kroos ,

That is strange that the iMac started working without any setting change :thinking: . If you try to create a shared folder on the MBP instead of the iMac, are you able to connect to the MBP folder from ROCK?

Yes, I did create a shared folder on my MBP via the roon app.

@noris
A few days later…
I just connected again from the MBP to the iMac. It worked directly, no problem.
Also, I can connect without any problem from the iMac to my rock.
But: adding network share located on my iMac does not work. There does not seem an obvious mistake with an immediate error message but it tries and tries and tries… I guess until a time limit kicks in…
Any suggestions?

How is your IMAC and your NUC connected to the internet, hardwired directly to a router or wifi? IS everything on the same network? Do you have any additional network switches anywhere?

Can you go to System Preferences and select Network and take a screen shot?

In System Preferences > Sharing there is a “Edit” button under the “Computer Name”. Click it and a dialog should pop up where is shows “Local Hostname”. Does it say “IMAC.local”? If it does not, then change it to that. Try connecting to the iMAC from Roon again.

If that does not work, you can try changing your “Computer Name” to “Didi iMac” and change your “Local Hostname” to “Didi-iMac.local”
Try to connected again.

let us know what happens. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks. Followed your instructions:
IMAC and NUC are connected to internet via LAN cables that go into the Devolo Powerline Adapter. The router sits on another floor and a LAN cable goes into another Devolo Powerline adapter.
Screenshot of network taken:

Yes, computer name was IMAC; local hostname was IMAC.local. — With these names I tried several times but it didn’t work.

Then changed to didi-IMAC and didi-IMAC.local…. same result as before: long trying to adding, but nothing happens. FYI: I had changed both names before and as that didn’t make a difference, I wasn’t surprised that it again did not make a difference.
One more observation: When I shutdown the iMac after the roon app on my MBP is trying to add a network share for 2 or 3 minutes, then immediately the error message pops up that it could not connect to host.

Hi @Christian_Kroos ,

Is there any way you can temporarily bypass this powerline adapter and have both ROCK and iMac connected to the same router or unmanaged switch? Powerline adapters have caused communication issues in the past with Roon, so it would be good to rule this aspect out.

Hi @noris,
Thanks and sorry, it took a while to get two long enough LAN cables to directly connect the ROCK and the iMac to my router. Today I did it and then tried to add a network share about a dozen times. Using IP name vs device name, using different files etc. However, I got the same result as always: No direct error message but it kept on trying to connect with no success.
So, I guess we can rule out the power line adapter as the source of error.
What can I try next?
Have a nice Sunday

1 Like

Hi @Christian_Kroos ,

Thanks for trying that and sorry to hear that suggestion didn’t work out. This is very strange, something is preventing the SMB connection, but I don’t see what it could be.

Do you have an iOS device? My next suggestion would be to try to install an app like SMB Manager and see if you can connect to the iMac via that app?

Ok, I‘ve installed the SMB Manager and tried to connect rock and iMac.
It didn‘t work though, pls see pic.
I‘m not sure if I filled in the data correctly!?

Hi @Christian_Kroos ,

The display name shouldn’t matter too much you can call it just ROCK or Test if you want, but under authorization, it looks like you have a username but no password, perhaps this is the issue? You don’t have a password for your iMac account?

@noris
Yes, of course, I have a password for my iMac and I did enter it in the SMB manager. So, from that point all good.

Hi @Christian_Kroos ,

Not sure if you have made any further progress on this, but if it’s not working through the SMB manager with the credentials, it won’t work in Roon and the issue is probably on the network or PC side (maybe a firewall?), I’d suggest checking in that direction.

@noris
Yes, I‘ve checked everything, I think. Firewalls etc. - What would be the easiest alternative to my I Mac as a network share with my iTunes folder?

Hi @Christian_Kroos ,

The simplest solution here would be to add an internal hard drive or connect a USB drive to ROCK that contains the music files, then there is no need to involve the network or the iMac.

Thanks. I would like to continue to organize my music library with iTunes user interface rather than a cumbersome file structure.

And I do have a 2TB SSD for my music library to be pulled from the iTunes folder (which is not working and my key problem…)

Hi @Christian_Kroos ,

If you connect a hard drive to the ROCK, are you able to access the ROCK’s internal storage via SMB? Maybe that way you can do the reverse process where you SMB into ROCK and copy iTunes files there.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.