Unable to configure Arc

So essentially you’re saying that ARC won’t work with my current isp unless I stump up $120 a year for a static IP.

Yeah, sadly.

CGNAT maps your internal address to an external / routable address when you make a request towards the internet (like loading a web page). These are usually short lived translations that last for your browsing session and are then torn down. That’s how “enhance the use of the limited number of IPv4 addresses” works. You’re not actually using an IPv4 address until you make a request outbound. Essentially, that also means you are not “on” the internet at all if someone was trying to send you data. In the case of ARC it needs to send data your way, to your core, but there isn’t a way to get there since translations only happen when you, or Core, makes a request outbound.

VPNs work because they hold these translations open.

Static IPs work because the ISP is forced to assign you your own dedicated address, no longer shared, and then there is no need to go through the shared CGNAT anymore.

Thanks for the info, I was totally ignorant about CGNAT.
I’ve been thinking about switching ISPs anyway, do you know if CGNAT is rare among ISPs?
Also is there a recommendation for an upload / download speed for Roon / ARC?
I’m considering downgrading to 20 / 5 from my current 50 / 20.
BTW fast internet is expensive in Australia :frowning:

Hey Paul,

CG-NAT is definitely not rare here in Australia, every ISP I have encountered here uses CG-NAT. Thats not to say that there aren’t ISP’s that do not use CG-NAT.

My In-Laws have Telstra home internet (Telstra use CG-NAT) but I set up a TP-Link Deco X68 Mesh system for their home, ARC works without any issue but I had to set up a manual port forwarding rule on the X68 Node that connects to the internet. I’ve no idea why ARC works but it does.

I personally had Aussie Broadband as my ISP and will again in a couple of months when I move back into my home. ARC does not work without either paying for a static IP or calling up their support and asking to opt out of CG-NAT which Aussie Broadband allow you to do if you have a valid reason. We use a 50/20 NBN plan which does not appear to cause any issues with ARC.

I use ARC everyday, multiple times whilst in the car.

1 Like

I’m actually now considering Exetel after reading this, their prices are similar to ABB.

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/exetel_faq_ip_address

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.