Unable to configure router to connect Roon Arc (Verizon Fios w/ Google Mesh)

I’m having the same problem myself using an Android 12 phone with Arc. Port forwarding is set up no problem, but when I play music using the Arc app either on wi-fi or 4g, after several tracks the music stops and I get the ‘Poor Connection’ message. Also at this point my Roon core freezes and needs to be re-booted.
I’ve read that Android version 12 may be possibly causing issues with Arc, has anyone else had any similar experiences?

Yes. Problems with Android 12 here as well.

There are a lot of customised Androids out there from the phone manufacturers. I wonder if it is related to that? For example I have an Oppo phone as I need dual SIM. It’s customised version of Android is called ColorOS 12.1

Hi @Steve_Ackerman,

I’ve merged another thread concerning your issue here for other users to follow, but please see my staff post above (#15) for next steps regarding your original issue.

Thanks. Connor. This is the error message I get when I followed your instructions: {
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“108.aaa.bbb.bbb”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

Please keep in mind that I can get ARC to connect to my core by putting the core and my phone on the Verizon network. So while it’s not ideal, I’m able to bypass the configuration issue. And since the updates, I have a bit more longevity with the connection than I did before. But I still lose it eventually, and I have no idea why. I leave my core plugged in to a power source and I adjusted the settings so the hard disk does not sleep.

Hi @Steve_Ackerman,

Thank you for passing that information along. This new message directs us to these next steps:

1. Try enabling UPnP on the Google Mesh router, if you have not already.
  2. You may also set a TCP port forwarding rule on the Google Mesh router, with the same port assignments as IP addresses as in the Verizon modem/router.

Thank you again for your patience.

I’ve tried these and they unfortunately didn’t work. Let’s assume I take Google Mesh out of the equation. If I connect the core and the remote device to the Verizon Wi-Fi, I can maintain a connection for longer than the phone cache would allow. Why is the connection not solid throughout the day?

@Steve_Ackerman,

Just to clarify where things stand:

1. When you have your Core hardwired to the mesh network, port forwarding fails with a 504 timeout.
  2. When you have your Core connected to your Verizon gateway, port forwarding configures automatically, but you lose access to Roon after a period of time outside your home.
  3. See below:

I’m afraid I need to clarify this because you seem to be suggesting you have separate subnetworks set up in your home. Is the Google mesh network not using the Verizon gateway to reach the internet, but instead using its own routable IP address?

However, to hone in on item #2 from above: if port forwarding is working and you can stream, search, and download local content on a 5G connection when your Core is hardwired to the Verizon router, then there is nothing wrong with port forwarding causing this issue. Your Core is likely just going to sleep, breaking its connection to ARC. I recommend taking a look at your Energy Saver and Screensaver timing settings.

You summarized it perfectly except that both connections (to the mesh and to the Verizon router) are wireless. Because of logistical issues, I can’t hardwire my core to either one. The Google Mesh Wi-Fi device is hardwired to the Verizon router, and there are two Google Mesh “points” in different areas if the house to extend coverage (the “points” can’t be hardwired to other devices). And even though Google Mesh is using Verizon to reach the internet, I get two separate, routable addresses. The Google signal is generally stronger and is what I always use, EXCEPT when I try to use ARC - it only says it’s configured properly when I put my core on the Verizon network. But as I said, I can’t maintain the connection (and I did adjust my settings do my core doesn’t go to sleep, assuming I did it properly, which I believe I did).

I have not tried putting my current, new Verizon router into bridge mode because of what happened last time, and also because Verizon has warned me against it unless I use THEIR extender product. I tried putting the Google Mesh in bridge mode - which supposedly can only be done by disabling the two “points,” but that just didn’t work. This is where things stand. I still have not been able to use ARC with any consistency, even after the most recent updates.

Hi @Steve_Ackerman,

Understood, thank you for clarifying.

Re-reading earlier reports, the impression emerges that ARC might have functioned throughout your morning commute in several instances because the Core remained connected to the Verizon router WiFi, which has autoconfigured in Roon → Settings - > ARC. Is it possible your Core is at times prioritizing different router WiFi connections (Google Mesh or Verizon) when you’re outside the home?

A quick glance at some recent diagnostics from your account shows that the Core’s ability to register the Google Mesh UPnP module is unreliable; in fact, your Core is losing and gaining network connection in what appears to be a several-minute loop. If the Core is moving around the house and switching between access points, this is the culprit, and I’m afraid there’s not a setting we can change to affect that circumstance. However, if your Core is stationary when you’re outside the home, then something is obviously interfering with its ability to reach the local WiFi network on one or both routers.

There are network errors during periods of both activity and rest for the Core, suggesting it might be a DNS issue in one of the routers.

Are you on the most recent firmware for the Google Mesh network and the Verizon router?

What is the DNS server listed in your Google Mesh web administration page? What about on the Verizon router? If there are DNS issues on either router, that could cause the unreliable connection you’ve been experiencing in ARC. We have seen users have a better experience in the past if they change their Router’s DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS. Can you please give this a try and let me know if it helps?

Hi Connor,
I changed my Verizon DNS server to Google and it did not fix the problem.