Unable to connect Control to Roon Server

Roon Server: “NAS” Windows 10 Pro - Tower connected via Ethernet cable to router
Roon Control: Windows 10 Pro - Laptop i7 6600 - Wireless connection to router
Roon version: Roon 1.7 (Build 555) Both Control and Server
Network router: Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500v2
Audio Devices: Cambridge CXNv2 DAC - Ethernet cable to router

Description Of Issue
My issue is I cannot connect to the roon server located on the Windows NAS server. The remote (Laptop) sees the server after opening roon and asks which device I would like to choose for core. When I select the NAS, it appears to just initialize forever.

This setup was working until a roon update was applied a few days ago.

Also be aware that if I use the laptop as the Core, everything works. But that defeats to purpose of having a NAS share, right?

Actions taking to date

1. Applied Windows update on both machines - check
  2. Rebooted both machines as well as the router - check
  3. Disabled virus and firewall protection on both machines - check
  4. Uninstalled Roon application, rebooted, then reinstalled Roon application on both machines -check

I could take a laptop, reconfigure IPs, using a crossover Ethernet cable and see if the laptop will connect to the Core directly. This would take the router out of the equation, if it connects. However, as I mentioned before this was working flawlessly before the update to 555.

What would be some suggestions? As I am running out of ideas.

Hi @Stephen_Storrs,

Are you able to properly connect via another Roon Remote to the NAS Core? Is just the laptop affected by this issue?

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.

So I went ahead and configured static IPs on the NAS and laptop and connected then using a Netgear switch. The same issue was experienced, unable to connect to Roon server. Additionally I disabled all antivirus and firewall on the laptop and the NAS.

To resolved the issue I had to uninstall the roon server including the database/settings. A total uninstall. Rebooted the NAS and reinstalled. Once this was done the Laptop was able to connect to the roon server, although I had to set everything up from scratch. Re-enabled the firewalls/antivirus on both the laptop and the NAS. Working like a charm.

On the brighter side, the more issues one runs into the more that is learned during the resolution process. The issue is resolved. Thanks for reply Noris.

1 Like

Hi @Stephen_Storrs,

Glad to hear that the Roon reinstall helped resolve the issue!
If you run into any additional difficulties, just let us know and we can take a look, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.