Unable to connect to Nucleus Core after updating remotes

Same issue for me but after updating iOS apps to 1.8 and my Mac app to 1.8 I cannot connect to my Nucleus core. I have turned off firewall and ant-virus temporarily to see if it works but it does not. Nothing has changed from before other than the app upgrade to 1.8. Mac, iPhone and iPad are on the same network and subnet as my Nucleus. I can reach my Nucleus via the web interface and have updated the OS and restarted the server software. My Nucleus is running - Server Version 1.7 (build 710) stable, Running 4 hours, 30 minutes, 33 seconds. Would appreciate any help as right now my Nucleus in expensive art installation.

1 Like

Hi @Andrew_Hughes

Is there any change if you press Reinstall under Operating System on the Web Interface?

I did try that before with no change. However, I just reinstalled the OS again and when I try to connect to the Remote Core (Nucleus) instead of not connecting at all I am now getting an error message that say - There was an error checking for an update - and below that it says Retry. I have done that a number of times without successfully connecting.

Is there any way you can remotely force an update to my Nucleus? What other options do I have? It is still under warranty so should I return it for a new one with the updated OS?

Thanks for your help.

Hi @Andrew_Hughes

Can you describe your networking setup?

Can you also please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link?

Thanks!

Dylan, I have pasted the Dropbox link to the log zip file as requested. Let me now if you have any issues accessing it. In terms of my network, I use Verizon Fios as my internet provider - I upgraded to gigabit ethernet in late December 2020. As part of this upgrade, I replaced my wireless router and installed a Netgear Orbi AX6000 mesh network with a Router and 2 Satellites (this replaced a Google Wifi mesh network). The new set-up was working fine until the release of Roon 1.8. I did not make any changes at all. I upgraded the iPhone and iPad apps via the Apple App store as directed, and that was when I can’t connect to my Roon Nucleus device anymore.

Hope you can resolve it or recommend a fix. I was very happy with the set-up before and I’m missing it.

I am also happy to ship the device back to you too if that might help? Just let me know. Thanks.

Thanks.

Hi @Andrew_Hughes

Looking at the logs, I’m seeing many networking errors like this:

02/28 23:37:52 Info: ConnectOrStartAndWaitForExit RAATServer, path: /roon/app/RoonServer/Appliance/RAATServer
02/28 23:37:52 Info: [raatserver] [runner] Status: Started
02/28 23:37:52 Critical: [easyhttp] [1] Get https://devicedb.roonlabs.net/1/devicedb-prod.zip web exception without response: : System.Net.WebException: Name or service not known Name or service not known
 ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Name or service not known
 ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0xFFFDFFFF): Name or service not known
   at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.ConnectAsync(String host, Int32 port, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.ConnectAsync(String host, Int32 port, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.ConnectAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean allowHttp2, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.CreateHttp11ConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.GetHttpConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithRetryAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.DecompressionHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.FinishSendAsyncUnbuffered(Task`1 sendTask, HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationTokenSource cts, Boolean disposeCts)
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.SendRequest()
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at Sooloos.EasyHttp.QueryAsync(HttpMethod method, Params p, CancellationToken canceltoken)
02/28 23:37:52 Warn: [devicedb] While refreshing, status: 999, body: System.Net.WebException: Name or service not known Name or service not known
 ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Name or service not known
 ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0xFFFDFFFF): Name or service not known
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.ConnectAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean allowHttp2, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.CreateHttp11ConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.GetHttpConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithRetryAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.DecompressionHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.FinishSendAsyncUnbuffered(Task`1 sendTask, HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationTokenSource cts, Boolean disposeCts)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
   at Sooloos.EasyHttp.QueryAsync(HttpMethod method, Params p, CancellationToken canceltoken)
02/28 23:37:52 Trace: [broker/services] refreshing metadata URL bits
02/28 23:37:52 Info: [broker/services] using URL override for metadata: https://metadataserver.roonlabs.net/md/
02/28 23:37:52 Info: [broker/services] using URL override for identifier: https://identifier.roonlabs.net/identifier/
02/28 23:37:52 Info: [broker/services] using URL override for imagecache: https://imagecache.roonlabs.net/im/
02/28 23:37:52 Info: [broker/services] using URL override for swim: https://swim.roonlabs.net/

These appear to be DNS network errors that are affecting your Nucleus’ ability to connect to our servers.

On your router’s settings, can you set it to use Google DNS and then try reinstalling the OS from the Web UI again?

Would you recommend updating to the IPv4 DNS addresses from Google or the IPv6 ones? Does it make a difference?Thanks.

IPv4 DNS is what you’ll want to change. Let us know if that helps, @Andrew_Hughes!

Dylan, no resolution. I still get the notification that there was an error checking for an update. I have changed the DNS settings to the IPv4 recommendation - and I have reset my router - It is working with the Google DNS settings now. I have zipped up another log file for you to look at to see if there is anything else I should try. Could you take a look and let me know what you think? Thanks.

Thanks for sending that over, @Andrew_Hughes

Looking at those logs:

03/06 23:48:03 Warn: while posting support data: System.Net.WebException: An error occurred while sending the request. The response ended prematurely.
 ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request.
 ---> System.IO.IOException: The response ended prematurely.
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnection.FillAsync()
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnection.ReadNextResponseHeaderLineAsync(Boolean foldedHeadersAllowed)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnection.SendAsyncCore(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnection.SendAsyncCore(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithNtConnectionAuthAsync(HttpConnection connection, HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at Sooloos.Support.LogPoster.Post(String url, IEnumerable`1 postables)
03/06 23:48:17 Info: [stats] 21797mb Virtual, 145mb Physical, 15mb Managed, 196 Handles, 46 Threads
03/06 23:48:32 Info: [stats] 21797mb Virtual, 145mb Physical, 15mb Managed, 196 Handles, 43 Threads
03/06 23:48:47 Info: [stats] 21797mb Virtual, 145mb Physical, 16mb Managed, 196 Handles, 46 Threads
03/06 23:49:02 Info: [stats] 21797mb Virtual, 145mb Physical, 16mb Managed, 196 Handles, 45 Threads
03/06 23:49:11 Critical: [easyhttp] [20] Get https://devicedb.roonlabs.net/1/devicedb-prod.zip web exception without response: : System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out.
03/06 23:49:11 Warn: [devicedb] While refreshing, status: 999, body: System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out.

It’s not showing the same DNS error, but it is showing that the connection cannot be made and is then timing out.

Since changing the DNS settings have you tried reinstalling the OS? Does that change anything at all now?

Is the Nucleus connected to the main Orbi router or one of the satellites? If a satellite, is there any change if you connect it to the primary router?

Dylan, I updated the Roon OS but no change - same message that there was an error checking for an update. I can send log files again if you want to see them. The Nucleus is connected directly to the Orbi AX6000 router and not to a satellite. Have you seen this issue before with any other Nucleus devices? Can I send it to you to get an update? Can you send me a replacement and I return this one? What options do I have from here?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for trying again, @Andrew_Hughes

This can happen if there are networking issues at play. Often times reinstalling the OS will trigger an update, but if there is no connection to our servers being made for the update that won’t be able to work.

Do you by any chance have another router available that you could try to use, or perhaps a USB WiFi adapter? This would allow us to try removing / changing some networking variables to see if the connection can be made.

Even another Ethernet cable would be a good test, to rule out failing connections from a cable.

OK - its fixed. There was something in the Orbi Router settings blocking the Nucleus from accessing the internet. I found it kind of by accident. All upgraded and working fine now.

Thanks for all of your help and sorry it was something on my end that I should have figured out sooner.

Can you explain what settings were blocking it so if someone has this problem they can see your thread and fix it. Thx

In the Orbi app there is a security dashboard that highlights the connected devices that can use Bitdefender Security. I looked at the available devices and the Nucleus was on it but had the internet access blocked (all the other devices had internet access). I changed that setting and the Nucleus was able to receive the software update. Hope this helps others. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.