Unable to connect to Roon on mobile device with new router

Hi. I just upgraded my home network to an Eero system with one base and three beacons. My Modem is Xfinity and it is also broadcasting a wifi network. Before the Eero I was using Plume pods and all worked fine. I have an Intel NUC as my Roon Server and it is hard wired to the internet. I cannot access Roon on any mobile device or laptop wen they are attached to the Eero network, although if I go back and connect to the Xfinity network, I can connect. Since the Eero is connected to the Xfinity Modem/router, I am totally confused (and clearly not a networking guru).

Short version is I hooked up a new Eero mesh network and now no device on that network can connect to the Roon core. If I connect to the wifi network that the Xfinity router is creating, I can connect. I am confused since Roon core is connected by ethernet cable to the router (through some home wiring and a dlink port).

My audio system is a NAD M17V2.

Not sure what other info I can provide.

Many thanks!!

Matt

Hello @Matt_Kirmayer,

I believe you are creating a separate “subnet” here with the Eero mesh system. I would take a look for instructions on how to place your Xfinity router into bridge mode and let the Eero handle the DHCP addressing. Roon will not work across subnets so you would want to make sure that your IP address for the Core and the Remotes all follow the same pattern until the last 3 digits, ex 192.168.1.XXX.

You can also leave connect your Core to the Eero network instead of directly to the primary router and that would assign it an IP address in the same subnet range as your Roon Remotes. Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks Noris. So I do not know what happened. I tried a Motorola Modem, but then switched back to my Xfinity modem/router and now I simply cannot access my Roon core no matter what wifi network I switch to. I do not know how to access my settings since I cannot get into Roon. I am so sorry - any ideas?

One more thought. I just connected a monitor and keyboard to my Nuc and have attached the photo of what it says…

I also tried connecting to the 169.254 address but nothing happens. Thank you so much.

Matt

I think you have two networks.
The roon server is on one and the clients are on another and so can’t see the roon server.
You will have to get them all on one network set of addresses for it to work.

Hello @Matt_Kirmayer,

Thanks for posting that screenshot, this a key piece of information. My question to you is, have you set a static IP address on the ROCK? If so the ROCK is not getting an IP address from your Router and is unable to be located that would be the reason why that message is displayed and you can’t connect to it. I would try rebooting your ROCK and all networking gear to see if you can get out of this state.

If you can’t get out of this state - do you have recent Database Backups of your ROCK setup? If you do the simplest solution may be to Reinstall ROCK or use a USB to Ethernet Adapter to provide the ROCK a new IP address and then reset the static IP address assigned to it.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks to all. I had two networks going. The fix was as easy as rewiring my ethernet switch to run off my new Eero mesh router thereby putting everything on the new network. So sorry if I asked bad questions, I am just so thankful to be able to listen to music again.

Many thanks!

Matt

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.