Unable to Connect to TIDAL/Reinstalling RoonServer on Synology

Not quite the same problem that I have where I cannot login to TIDAL through Roon at all.

Hi @LJB,

Can you please try clearing out your TIDAL cache?

• Exit out of Roon
  • Find and open your Roon database
  • Navigate to Roon/Cache
  • Move the contents of the /Cache folder elsewhere, like your desktop
  • Try restarting Roon and verify if the issue still occurs

I would also ensure that you have the latest version of Roon installed, you can find the build number under Roon Settings -> About and it should list build 555.

Thanks. I already had the latest Roon version installed. I cleared out the cache and restarted Roon. No change re. TIDAL Login, issue remains. By the way, cache remains empty after one restart of Roon, that right?

A post was split to a new topic: Cannot login to TIDAL - Windows 10 + Android

Hi @LJB,

Thanks for giving the cache clear a try.

Do you notice the same behavior if you try using any other Roon Remotes (iOS/Android/Another PC)? Have you ensured that you’re running the latest Roon build (build 555)? This should be listed under Roon Settings -> About.

What kind of browser window is opened? Chrome/Firefox/Internet Explorer? Are you using the latest version of the browser?

Yes, I use the latest build. Same behavior on all devices. Not connected to TIDAL and not able to login and connect. Or, the login process gets started OK by directing me to each browser (Chrome on my desktop and laptop, and Safari on the iPhone and iPad). On each browser, I can enter my TIDAL username and password and I get the success message "“You’ve successfully connected your TIDAL account”. When then returning to Roon, TIDAL remains unconnected. I am so puzzled because it all worked so well until a few days ago.

I had a problem with Roon (related to TIDAL) and thought to deinstall the whole Roonserver App and reinstall it might be worth another try. But now, after deinstalling Roonserver, I am not able to reinstall it again. There is a shared folder named roonserver on my Synology NAS (in fact, on an external SSD that is attached and where Roonserver was installed before and worked). But the installation of the SPK file (provided by Christopher Rieke) stops with the following message:

/tmp //could not download installation archive from roon labs website. please check your internet connection

The internet connection is certainly not the problem.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

I will move this to support as more people will see it there.

Hi @LJB,

Did you use the instructions provided by @crieke to install the package? See:
https://roononnas.org/en/synology/#1527376676819-5f4f71e6-4873

Yes, I did. And as I said, I had it previously installed on the same USB drive name roonserver.

This is confusing. What USB? It thought you said it was a Synology.

Apologies if I did not express myself clearly. It is an SSD connected to the Synology NAS via USB and the drive is named roonserver. And roonserver worked form it before. It is just that I uninstalled it and am now trying to reinstall.

As I believe it is recommended to install roonserver not directly on the NAS itself for better performance in reading and playing the music files that are on it.

From Roon’s Knowledge Database:

Which NAS devices are supported?

Most QNAP, Synology, and Asustor devices with a 64-bit x86 CPU, like Intel or AMD, and at least 2GB RAM are supported.

We strongly recommend 4GB of RAM and an SSD for the Roon databases . Your music files can be on spinning disks, but ideally the Roon database should be on an SSD. This one optimization can provide the single biggest improvement to Roon’s performance and user experience.

Note: If your NAS does not have a free slot for an SSD, you can use a SSD via an external enclosure connected via eSATA or USB 3.0. Anything 64GB or larger should be fine

Depending on the NAS, it can more than handle Roon requirements. We are running a Roon Server and Plex Server on the same box with rotational drives.

But regardless whether try to install RoonServer on the external SSD or the internal NAS disks, the result is the same:

Failed to install “Roon Server”:

/tmp //could not download installation archive from roon labs website. please check your internet connection

Hi @LJB,

Can you share a screenshot of the error message?
Are you able to access any logs on the QNAP?

Getting log files

Manually getting Roon Server’s log files

You can manually download Roon Server’s log files. Access your database storage location with your computer (or use Synology’s File Station). The log files are stored in the Logs folder in the RoonServer and RAATServer directory.

I have a Synology NAS. Can access anything, but since RoonServer is not installed, there would not be any log files? Sorry - I am not really a technical person :frowning:

Double forward slash “/tmp//”