Unable to enable devices on linux running roon bridge

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10
Roon v1.7 build 610 64 bit

**Bridge details

Arcolinux/ 5.8.3-arch1.1

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet, using standard ISP provided huawei as default gateway.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Chord 2qute - USB

Description Of Issue

Viewing the settings > audio page inside the roon core, i can clearly see the roon bridge device, and the associated audio outputs for that device. It is registered and picked up in the about settings, where i can see the bridge. After trying to enable any of the devices on the roon bridge, i get an error “device not found” and hence can not enable any of the devices associated with the machine. Playing audio on the roon bridge machine i.e. from youtube plays the audio perfectly through the USB DAC. I have tried various things, even a suggestion on the forum where unplugging and choosing the system output option… For some reason the roon bridge does not have a system output option when looking at it through roon. Looking for any advice. I am wondering if i have missed something simple along the way.

Additional details : have ran the check.sh script and all has come back as OK for running roon bridge.

Is there a particular reason you are using that flavour of Linux? I did a search on the forum and it’s never been mentioned, I just wondered if you could try something more roon mainstream and see if that works…

Built-in and System output are related to the computer (OS) not the DAC. If the 2qute is connected it will be an audio device in Settings > Audio.

The 2qute should be set to fixed volume if feeding a preamp.

If you can’t see the DAC from Roon it may be that you haven’t setup the bridge device correctly, e.g. unmet dependencies. Screen shots and details of the bridge hardware would be helpful.

What’s the output from aplay -l?

Hi @Mark_Foord,

Have you checked the Windows Firewall?

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.

I can confirm that the Windows firewall both incoming and outgoing include the two RAATServer.exe an Roon.exe exceptions.

Hi @Mark_Foord,

Thanks for confirming the firewall exceptions, the next questions are as mentioned by others above:

Any change you can give these suggestions a try?

Also, does the DAC work fine when plugged in directly to the Core through Roon? I don’t believe we’ve confirmed this yet.

Thank you for the reply.

I can confirm that the DAC works quite well from another computer (windows based) as well as from the core.

We will have a look at the output from aplay as soon as we get some spare time.

1 Like

Thank you all for your assistance.
We have deleted all the information on the machine and reinstalled ubuntu/linux and it now works fine.

I think, and so does my Son, who has very good ears, that the playback is a little brighter than before using windows, but the difference is quite small.

1 Like

Hi @Mark_Foord,

Thanks for letting us know that reinstalling Ubuntu resolved this issue!
If you have any other difficulties with Roon, please just let us know!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.