Unable to import Apple Music library into my Roon library

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

2020 iMac running Big Sur 11.0 beta 128 GB RAM and 1 TB storage, of which about 50GB is still available. 3.8 GHz i7 intel processor.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Eero mesh system, computer with Roon Core is connected by Ethernet to Eero device in study. (Not the one connected to the router.)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Roon connects to various devices throughout the house (two Naim mu-sos, Apple HomePod, Apple TV and a Bose speaker.

Description Of Issue

I have Apple Music and would like to integrate my library into Roon but it’s not happening. Per instruction on your website I’ve manually created an .xml file in the same folder as my Apple Music files and set Roon to watch that folder, but no dice. Have also made that folder shareable in my system preferences but that did not help. What am I missing?

Hi @Frank_Fariello,

Sorry for the trouble here! To start, can you share a screenshot of Settings > Storage in Roon as well as a screenshot of the XML file (showing the file path) from within Finder?

Thanks!

Thanks. Here you go…

Hello @Frank_Fariello,

Thanks for that screenshot! Are all the files you’re trying to import .M4P files?

Roon does not support .M4P files as mentioned in our documentation, to use these files with Roon, you’ll want to convert them to a supported format:

Yes, that seems to be the case. And when I try to convert them to WAV or any other format, I get an error message saying the files are “protected” and cannot be converted.

But this essentially means that Apple Music can’t be imported since .M4P seems to be the default format for downloads. You can specify other formats for imports but not for downloads, as far as I can tell.

@Frank_Fariello - Does this suggestion by any chance help?

Thanks. I tried it but am still unable to convert the files, which appear blanked out. I assume because of the DRM protection.

1 Like

Hi @Frank_Fariello,

Since DRM is applied to these files, unfortunately you will not be able to use them in Roon.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.