Unable to install ROCK

Roon Core
Intel Nuc8i3BEH1 with Bios 0078, Trascend 128GB PCIe Gen3 x4 MTE11OS M.2 SSD and Crucial 8GB single DDR4 2400 MT/S(PC4-19200) SR x 8Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Networking wifi.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
After installing ROCK image on thumb drive when installing thumb drive to install it, when turning on the NUC and pressing F10 this is what I get:

Please select boot devices:
UEFI LAN PXE IP4 Intel Ethernet Connection (6) 1219-V
UEFI LAN PXE IP4 Intel  Ethernet Connection (6) 1219-V

I do not see the USB thumb drive with the Roon Rock I installed.
What went wrong?
Thanks

I had that problem and in my case the monitor was not supporting the correct resulution. This is from Intel‘s support document:

If you’re using an HDMI monitor or HDTV that doesn’t support a resolution of 1024x768, you might not be able to access the Intel® Visual BIOS setup when pressing the F2 key.

And this not a good idea. Should be wired via ethernet.
Have you managed to get into BIOS to set you boot order correctly?

Hi @the5rs,

Have you followed our ROCK Install Guide to install the image? Did you use Etcher to flash the image?

Is the NUC trying to do UEFI boot? You need to set to Legacy boot per the install guide.

1 Like

How is it done?

Thanks!!!

I asked about upgrading the Bios 0078 to 0081 and they told me it was not recommended.
Also, somebody said that I have to select Legacy Boot but I do not see that. Another person said that the monitor has to be 1024x768 resolution.
Where can I get the latest instructions to install Roon Rock?

Thanks!!!

The ROCK installation instructions were written before the 8th generation Intel NUC came along and changed the rules of the game.

See this post from Scott with his amendments which should help:

Oh, and the monitor resolution has to be a minimum of 1024 x 768 in order to be able to use the BIOS GUI (selected by the F2 key).

This might help too:

Can somebody from support correct the old Rock instructions and make a new one for Intel NUC8…?

Thanks for your info

1 Like

@the5rs - Did the instructions that Scott posted work for you? Is ROCK working now?
I can let the team know to review the instructions to see if improvements can be made.

@noris, that would be great. I just recently finished a NUC 8 install and the BIOS instructions could use some updating/tweaking. I also think a checklist that highlights the complete set of steps across all of the linked documents would be extremely helpful. Feel free to reach out if you would like me to elaborate, thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.