Unable to migrate roon core from PC to Nucleus Plus

@support I have been using Roon for some time, the Roon Core is on my Windows 10 PC. I have now bought a Nucleus Plus. I have plugged it in, connected it to my network, updated the firmware and then opened up the Roon app on my PC. The core backup is on a USB HDD which is connected directly to the Nucleus Plus. I now need to migrate the core to the Nucleus. However, the Choose Roon Core screen has not appeared. I do not know any way to make it appear and I am unable to migrate the core from the PC to the Nucleus Plus. I have rebooted the PC and the Nucleus Plus but it has made no difference. Can you please help?

Go to settings:general and just hit disconnect on present core shown.
Then you should get option to connect to your new core, it will probably show both old and new cores.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply, it is much appreciated. I followed your advice and was able to select the Nucleus Plus. However, when I clicked on restore a backup the file browser which came up only had a choice of dropbox account or add a network share. However, I have the backup on a USB HDD directly connected to the Nucleus Plus. There seems to be no way to find it. I decided to reboot Roon and try again, but now when I try to open Roon on my PC it just hangs with nothing showing. I’m going to leave it like that and see if it eventually opens, but if you have any ideas of what to do about this I would be grateful.

@support Dear Support, Can you please help me? I found that when I opened Roon on my PC nothing happened. There was just the semicircle logo with the 3 movinig lines in the middle of the screen. After several hours there had been no developments. So I uninstalled and reinstalled Roon, excluding settings and databases at first, then including them as the reinstallation otherwise had no effect. After including settings and databases in the uninsstallation Roon did open, and offered me a choice of the new Nucleus Plus or the PC for the Roon core. I selected the Nucleus Plus and now, once again, only the onscreen logo is displaying. Nothing has happened after 2 hours, so presumably nothing will happen now. Can you please get back to me as I cannot use the Nucleus Plus, and I can no longer use Roon to access my Music Library. It’s somethihng of a disaster and I need some guidance as to what to do next. Thank you.

Hi @Peter_Allen ,

Thanks for reaching out and for your patience while your case has reached the queue following the holiday weekend. Can you please use these instructions to access your Nucleus RoonServer Logs and upload a set for review here?

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Can you please confirm if the behavior is the same from another Roon Remote as well (iOS / Android / other PC)?

Thanks!

Hi Noris,
Thanks very much for your reply. I can confirm that the behaviour is the same when I attempt to access the Nucleus Plus from my Android tablet. I have uploaded zip files as requested. I hope I have understood your requirements, if not, please let me know what else I need to do.
Thanks for your help,
Peter.

1 Like

Hi Noris,
It’s been a few days now so I would just like to check that I have sent you all the information you need, or if there is anything else you would like me to do. I would appreciate it if you would get back to me.
Thanks,
Peter.

Hey @Peter_Allen,

Thanks for sending those our way. We have received them and we’ll get back to you as soon as absolutely possible.

There might be a delay, as Noris is out of office this week. I’m kindly asking for a little more of your patience :pray:

Okay, thanks Rebeka. Does that mean I won’t hear from anyone before next week?

I’ll do all I can to get you an answer before the weekend :nerd_face: :pray: . I’ll reach out on Friday anyway.

Okay, thanks.

Hello @Peter_Allen ,

Thank you for your patience here while I have returned back to the office and had a chance to review your logs.

It looks like something is preventing your Nucleus being able to log in to your Roon account, and it is likley this aspect that is causing the hang up.

Can you please try to perform a manual Nucleus database reset by using the below instructions?

• Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
    Perform an OS reinstall from the WebUI:

• On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database
  • Verify if setting up the Nucleus as a new core works (don’t try to attempt to restore the previous database just yet)

If the above still does not resolve this issue, there could be something network-related that is preventing communication with our account servers, and we would need to take a closer look at the network configuration. If we need to do this, please also let us know the router + networking gear model/manufacturer info. Thank you!

Hi Noris,
Thanks for that. Can I just check one thing? By ’ Stop RoonServer from running in [Nucleus’s WebUI]’, do you mean power off? I would be grateful if you could let me know.
Peter.

Hi Peter, not Noris (obviously), but, He was referring to the Web UI for the Nucleus. If you look at the picture he posted. Under the red box, there is a section called Roon Server Software. Currently there is a blue Restart button, but press the little down pointing arrow and that will bring up a drop down where STOP is available.

Like shown here:

stop

1 Like

Hi Daniel / Noris,
Thanks for that. I followed the instructions, was able to select the Nucleus Plus as the core, and logged in. I now have the Add Your Music screen. I would be grateful for your guidance on the next step.
Peter.

If you haven’t read the following FAQ before attempting this process it is worthwhile reviewing the information

2 Likes

Hi @Peter_Allen ,

Have you been able to use the Nucleus after passing the Add Your Music screen? Let us know!

Hi Noris / Daniel,
Thanks for all the guidance. There were a couple of small hiccoughs on the way, but I’m pleased to say that the core is now on the nucleus plus and I was able to restore the backup. Everything is now up and running as it should be. It’s great to have Roon back after about two weeks without it.
Thanks for all your help.
Peter.

5 Likes

Hi @Peter_Allen ,

Thank you for letting us know that the Nucleus+ is now working, this is fantastic news! We appreciate your patience here working with us to troubleshoot this and we hope that you have a smooth Roon experience moving forward. Please, do let us know if there is anything else we can assist with in the future. Happy listening! :headphones:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.