Unable to play .aac file on Roon 1.8 (1151) on Synology (ref#692VEH)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Playback

Description of Issue

I’m running Roon 1.8 (1151) on a Synology as I still require compatibility with Windows 7. All has been working well for a long time, but starting recently an .aac file I’ve had for years will no longer play. I dug into the logs and found an InvalidOperationException:

11/27 22:48:07 Warn: [zoneplayer/raat] Error during streaming: System.InvalidOperationException: tried to get ByteBuffer on non-integer AudioBuffer
at Sooloos.Audio.AudioBuffer.get_ByteBuffer()
at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.RaatZonePlayer.<>c__DisplayClass31_0.<_StartStream4>b__1()

Roon Core Platform

Linux (NAS/SonicTransporter/Antipodes/Ubuntu/etc.)

Linux Core Type

Synology

Roon Core Specifications

DS1019+ with added RAM and an SSD cache installed.

Connected Audio Devices

Win10 PC, Win7 PC, BlueSound Node2i, NAD C658, iPhone, iPad

Home Network Details

WiFi

Do you have the codecs installed?

Do you have the codecs installed?

I believe I do. AME 1.1.0-51005 is installed, both HEVC and AAC are marked as supported, and I’m signed into my Synology account.

I could be wrong, but I think @Suedkiez means John Van Sickle - FFmpeg Static Builds

I’m not sure, wasn’t there a bit of a back and forth with some NAS about using this third party codec package vs the built-in package? I forgot if QNAP or Synology.

Someone using Synology might know

Well, due to a legal dispute, Synology doesn’t support AAC transcoding anymore in its first-party software. It can only send raw AAC to endpoints via things like Audio Station and DS Audio.

The ffmpeg plugins have always been recommended, and work just great in my experience. It doesn’t hurt to use them, and while they might have not been necessary in the past, they might be now. I’m not interested in experimenting without them to verify the need for them, since everything works so well for me these days. It’s worth a shot for @turbodrubin to install them to see if they help. It does require a restart of Roon server after they have been installed in the appropriate directory. (RoonOnNAS > bin)

1 Like

It’s worth a shot for @turbodrubin to install them to see if they help.

I did give it a try, and it did indeed help. Thanks for the good suggestion! I remain curious why it suddenly stopped working without any Roon update - and I don’t recall any DSM update either - but I’m just glad to be able to listen again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.