Unable to play DSD128 - performance pointed at

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4510 (2 cores 4 threads, 2 GHz) with 16GB RAM, SSD
Roon 1.7 build 505

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
GB ethernet to NAS

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Bricasti M1 ethernet Roon ready interface

Description Of Issue

Since I use the convolution filter (great improvement on PCM and DSD64) I can’t read DSD128 anymore. It hangs, stops for 5-10 seconds at a time to play the next 5 s… A message pops up saying there is a hardware or performance problem.

Will an I7 8559U (4 cores 8 threads 8MB cache instead of 2cores 4 threads 4MB cache) solve the issue? Am looking at an Intel NUC to handle the Roon server, wouldn’t like to find out lated that it’s still not capable of applying the convolution filter!

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Hello @Charles_de_Clarens,

Check to make sure that you have “Parallelize Sigma-Delta Modulator” enabled in the “Sample Rate Conversion” settings. This may give you enough headroom to do DSD128 with convolution.

-John

What processing speed are you seeing in the signal path display? Anything below 1.3x is going to be trouble

Thanks John, I enabled that and unfortunately it still does the same thing.
Wizard: I see between 0.5 and 0.7! (with the parallel thing from John)

Not enough puff that means…too much dsp effort being deployed.

Can you screen shot the signal path when it’s happening…iirc doing dsp on dsd content requires a dsd-pcm-dsd conversion an that will suck the life out most systems…

Hi @Charles_de_Clarens,

A 0.5 - 0.7 processing speed is too low for the DSP you are trying to apply. I would try disabling some of the DSP you have active or upgrading to a better Core machine, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.