Unable to setup a "watched folder "

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Nucleus+

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Modem Hitron.
Switch Lynsk SE3008 Cat 5e ethernet.
PC & NUC+ connected to Modem WiFi turned ON

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Lyngdorf tdai 2170 USB to Nucleus.
NAD C368 Cat 5e to switch

Description Of Issue
Unable to set a watched folder. The music folder on my PC is set as a shared folder that indicates a network path.

When I enter this path on the Roon app at “storage > net work share/this folder” the path is rejected.

This window is empty and there is no response when I click “browse”. Both endpoints play what is on the Nucleus SSD but I can’t add music to the Nucleus or set a watched folder.

Hi @Jerry_Deverell,

Can you share a screenshot of the path that you’re entering into Roon, including the error message?

Can you confirm that you’re entering the username and password for this share as well?

Hi Dylan Unable to send sceenshot. The error message is " unexpected error "
Confirm I enter PC "user name and password "
Jerry

Hi, I’ve upped the trust level on your forum account … you should be able to post images now.

Hi Carl Below is a pasted version of the path.
This is not the path that shows in file explorer. File explorer path is " DESKTOP-S6LBDFV\Roon Library "

Roon Library (file://DESKTOP-S6LBDFV/Roon%20%20Library)

In the Roon app “choose music storage folder” is blank. No folders available for section.

Jerry

Hi Carl Can you respond to my last reply? Happy New Year Jerry

I would alter the last folder name to contain no spaces so Roon Library is RoonLibrary or use an underscore instead of the space, reshare that and try again. Linux which Nucleus OS is based on does not like spaces in names especially over network so this might be part of the issue.

Hi @Jerry_Deverell,

I agree with CrystalGipsy’s suggestion above — Can you remove the spaces so it’s RoonLibrary?

Also, can you try using SMB format?

smb://DESKTOP-S6LBDFV/RoonLibrary

reset shared folder as “RoonLibrary” Entered new path still shows “error”.
Can’t delete previous snap shoot.

Hi @Jerry_Deverell,

Are there any special characters in the password being used here? If so, can you remove them so that it’s only alphanumeric and let us know if that helps?

Can you verify that you can access the path smb://DESKTOP-S6LBDFV/RoonLibrary from Finder or File Explorer over the network?

the last request is beyond my knowledge.
Jerry

Hi @Jerry_Deverell,

This request is essential to test that the path you’re entering in Roon works outside of Roon. So if you have another machine, either Mac or Windows, can you try entering that path and see if you can connect to it? The point of this test is to determine if Roon / the Core is having trouble accessing the path or if it’s not accessible by any device.

Hi Dylan:
I Have another Win 10 PC connected to my network. Will try to connect the two PC’s using the path
you provided. I don’t understand "server message block " I will get some help and get back to you.
!. Do you figure if I delete Roon app on my Pc and reinstall & configure this would help?
2. Should " smb: be part of the path from PC to PC ?
3. Could the initial set up of Roon app be the problem?

Happy New Year. Jerry

Hi @Jerry_Deverell,

I don’t think to delete and to reinstall the app will change much at this time — For some reason, Roon isn’t able to access the share, which is typically either a configuration issue for the share or a networking issue.

Yes — When connecting the folder using the Nucleus we want to try using SMB format for the connection, so making sure that that format works when testing the connection from another PC will be a good data point.

HI Dylan
1 On Roon app at storage " Nucleus+ internal storage it indicates" watching for files in rel time "
2 Not yet able to access the path from the other PC.
3 Rechecked configure for RoonLibrary. Looks OK.

Jerry

Hi @Jerry_Deverell,

To confirm — Have you not yet been able to try, or have you tried and it’s not working?

HI Dylan I have tried several times without success. The secondary computer on my network gives error msg "permissions not authorized “. I have set network share on main PC to " read write & everyone”. I will see my friend on Jan 8 who is a Linux programmer and in the computer business: hopefully he may help me. I’m a win 10 nubie and my Linux skills have diminished (dinosaur).
I just want to enjoy music and not play PC geek. Could the Nucleus + be the problem or do you still
assume network configuration.
Thanks Jerry

Maybe the space in your UserName?

Just for the hell of it, try a new one without spaces.

Hi @Jerry_Deverell,

I don’t think it’s the Nucleus here, especially since you can’t access the folder from other Windows devices. It sounds like something is either not configured correctly or is blocking the connection from happening.

Can you share some screenshots of the share settings for this folder so we can verify it’s configured correctly?