Unable to start RoonServer on QNAP running QTS 4.3.3.0299

Hi,

I’m about to sign up to Roon but thought I should check I can get the software working on my devices first. I plan to use my QNAP TS-451 to run the Roon Core so downloaded the package and followed the installation instructions.

Once installed, I found that the RoonServer failed to start and logged the following errors:

05.10.17-12:25:29 --- Starting RoonServer ...
05.10.17-12:25:29 --- ROON_DATABASE_DIR: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/RoonServer
05.10.17-12:25:29 --- ROON_DIR: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RoonServer
05.10.17-12:25:29 --- Model: TS-451
05.10.17-12:25:29 --- QNAP Serial: Q163B22100
05.10.17-12:25:29 --- Architecture: x86_64
05.10.17-12:25:29 --- QTS Version: 4.3.3
05.10.17-12:25:29 --- PKG Version: 2017-02-02
05.10.17-12:25:29 --- Hostname: SUNFLOWER
05.10.17-12:25:29 --- MTU: 1500
05.10.17-12:25:29 --- Loading additional 64-bit libs: false
05.10.17-12:25:29 --- ROON_DEBUG_ARGS:
05.10.17-12:25:29 --- RoonServer PID: 17710

########## Installed RoonServer Version ##########
1.3 (build 262) stable
stable
##################################################

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RoonServer/RoonServer/Mono/lib/mono/4.5:/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/Qmono/lib:/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/Qmono/mono/4.5/:
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RoonServer/RoonServer/Server/RoonServer: line 71: cd: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/Server: No such file or directory
Cannot open assembly 'RoonServer.exe': No such file or directory.
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RoonServer/RoonServer/start.sh: line 34: kill: (17724) - No such process

I managed to fix the first error by editing the RoonServer script and adding:
export ROOTPATH=/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RoonServer/RoonServer

But I now see two different errors repeatedly. The first I tried to fix by changing the script’s LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the location the latest mscorlib.dll is located in - but it made no difference. For the second error - I can’t see an Appliance directory in the installation. Here’s the errors I see:

Initializing
Started
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RoonServer/RoonServer/Appliance/RoonAppliance: line 39: cd: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/Appliance: No such file or directory
The assembly mscorlib.dll was not found or could not be loaded.
It should have been installed in the `/usr/local/mono-3.10.0/lib/mono/2.0/mscorlib.dll' directory.
Error
Initializing
Started
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RoonServer/RoonServer/Appliance/RoonAppliance: line 39: cd: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/Appliance: No such file or directory
The assembly mscorlib.dll was not found or could not be loaded.
It should have been installed in the `/usr/local/mono-3.10.0/lib/mono/2.0/mscorlib.dll' directory.
Error

I tried changing the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the script to point to the folder where the latest version of mscorlib.dll is located (tried /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RoonServer/RoonServer/Mono/lib/mono/4.5 and /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/Qmono/mono/4.5/) but I still get the same error.

The version of Qmono I have installed is 4.8.1.0 - I believe earlier versions would be incompatible with QTS 4.3.x

Any help to get my RoonServer running would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
James

Do you need Qmono on your QNAP? I have in mind that there was a different case, where an additional Mono installation was causing RoonServer to not start correctly.

Is it possible to try if it works (without modified scripts) when Qmono is deinstalled?

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your reply. I’ve just removed the additional QMono installation and also RoonServer, rebooted the NAS and installed RoonServer only leaving the script as-is.

Same errors as before unfortunately. I added my ROOTPATH line back in and again it gets to the next error still failing with the same mscorlib.dll error.

Best regards,
James

Can you check if there is a directory called mono or Mono
at

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/?

I can see /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/Mono there

That is actually the issue. It is not there by the RoonServer installation.
Can you think of any other installation that might have installed it there?

We will fix this, but for now, try to uninstall the other mono.

Excellent, thanks - I’ve renamed it to Mono.bak and now the Roon Server has started successfully. I’ve also re-installed the QMono package I removed earlier and Roon Server is starting ok with that one.

So not sure what created the Mono folder, but no applications seem to have stopped working now that it’s named Mono.bak.

Thanks again.
James

1 Like