2.0 and Internet Requirements [it's been reverted back to 1.8 like functionality]

I want to be sure I’m understanding what’s changed with 2.0. I originally invested in Roon (both through a lifetime subscription, and by buying and building up my local music collection in Flac format stored locally) as I was tired of my music not working whenever there were internet connectivity issues. I live in a remote location and my internet involves multiple radio towers repeating the signal: it works great when it works, but it goes down frequently. Roon was perfect as I can continue to play and browse my locally owned/stored music during these frequent internet problems, which I find useful to my focus when working.

My company is exploring buying ~10 Roon lifetime subscriptions for other people in our “remote offices”, inspired because I was so excited by what Roon ARC offers.

But I need to understand: is the intent that we are no longer able to play our locally owned files when the internet goes down? This is a show stopper for us, as this would make Roon just as problematic as remote streaming services, and would defeat the purpose of having locally hosted files.

4 Likes

I think you’re out of luck and will need to find another solution. roon 2.0 requires full-time active internet access. See this post from a roonlabs employee.

Thanks, that’s what I was trying to clarify. Disappointing, but I’m glad to have learned this now.

You can use v1.8 to carry on accessing local files when the internet is down. It will carry on with the feature set you have now.
Obviously you will miss out on updates but that is at least an option.

Yes, thanks, that’s my short term plan. It doesn’t make for a good long term plan.

2 Likes

I guess it depends on what short and long term are in developments…
Roon nuancing their current black or white message.
Internet arriving more reliably.
:blush:

That is absolutely disappointing. If i a stay with 1.8 i cannot update my ios appletv or other devices. I think todays internet services are not stable enough for the decision you have made. Maybe i must look for an alternative

3 Likes

This is the messaging, as I understand it, from Roon Labs as of 2.0 release.

Or, at least it’s not reliable so just expect it won’t work.

and others. There wasn’t any forewarning related to this change.

This investment is not lost as any other “server” will be able to read these files.

I agree with this. Time will dictate if Roon 2.0+ restores some kind of “offline” mode. What that looks like I have no idea but I do find it a bit abrupt to pull the plug completely even for a user, like myself, that has redundant and reliable Internet access.

Happy Roon’ing. I hope someone drags a fiber out to wherever you are so you can gain reliable Internet.

Have to tell you the truth - I dislike it. I will take no action right now. But, the minute the following happens, I will start reconsidering Roon:

1.- Internet happens to go down in my house
2.- It happens at the same time I am trying to listen to music
3.- I am actively kept from playing my local files by the internet requirement.

Why until then? Because, well, so far it hasn’t affected me. Don’t want to start a whole thing on a hypothetical situation. So far, no issues, upgrade went well and it works well. But once I am affected, then it is time to start stinking it up re: the requirement.

v

2 Likes

An always on decision of this nature (Roon 2.0) will never be a one size fits all. For someone like me who places value on the ability to have my local library available to stream from anywhere, it is a small sacrifice I am willing to accept. I have a mostly reliable internet service with little downtime, and on the rare occasion it is down, I would turn to mobile tethering if I really need it. For someone with unreliable internet service, I can understand the frustration and would venture to say that Roon 2.0 may not fit your bill. Roon 1.8 is still head and shoulders above the competition in my books, and would at least allow for continued offline access. For everyone else, I would suggest letting this reality play out and see over the course of a few months how often it truly crosses your path.

Feature suggestion that you can vote for:

1 Like

Not on the roadmap :frowning_face:

Well, like I said, if I am ever kept from playing my local files… I like Roon a lot otherwise, so let’s hope, again, internet does not go down at the same time I’m trying to play a local file.

v

It’s nice so many people are happy with this upgrade, genuinely. But let’s see what happens next time your internet goes down and your music goes bye bye. Methinks the smiles will fade very quickly! Roon 2.0 is a disaster for anyone with patchy internet…which I feel is probably many people. This is hands down the worst decision this company has ever made. Nice move guys :frowning:

I am a life time subscriber, love Roon and was so excited about 2.0 and ARC, then heard from Danny that you have to have a continual internet connection to even play your own music library in your home. Thats a deal breaker having to relay on the internet for local playback. Myself and my entire family is quite disappointed in this direction. Tell me this is not true.

4 Likes

Internet-connections are becoming so reliable these days (although the majority of them). I can only agree with this decision but there should be a solid work- around for those that are not blessed with a reliable internet connection.

2 Likes

Be cautious in updating to 2.0. Any break in your Internet, you can’t play your Roon using your local files.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/does-roon-work-without-internet-answered-no/153218/109

While it probably won’t affect me so much, there are times when my internet can go down. I don’t want to find out that I can’t play my local music. Disabled all the search functions for streaming services. But allow the offline playback of local files please, without having to downgrade back to 1.8 (legacy).

1 Like

@danny

Has anyone seen an explanation of why this is needed. I will never use ARC but I wonder about the longevity of the 1.8 Legacy.

If every new feature and improvements shuttle back to 1.8 then I will revert but how long will 1.8 legacy remain in play , @danny may wish to respond to these fears as well

I have stable always on internet so I shouldn’t worry , but the situation in South Africa with power reliability makes me worry. That said no power no internet so no power to run music systems

I can always revert

I think 1.8 will live on though unsupported. However the current window to move onto it is just six weeks.
Not sure how that works, what gets withdrawn etc.

I am going to be supremely disappointed if I can not listen to my local files because the interweb goes down.

I have started making sure my alternatives are up to date. It had been a while since I last even cared.

1 Like