"Unexpected error communicating with audio device" using KEF LSX [Solved - Security Software]

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Lenovo P50 laptop with Windows 10, CPU i7-6820HQ, 32 GB ram.
Roon 1.6 build 416.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Google Router, Cisco *SG300-10 switch. Roon core laptop and KEF LSX connected with ethernet cable.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

KEF LSX, wired with ethernet cable. Firmware 4.0.

Description Of Issue

Roon displays “Unexpected error communicating with audio device” with KEF LSX. With a playlist it keeps skipping to next track until Roon displays “Too many failures. Stopping playback”. LSX is updated to firmware 4.0.

Hi @Thomas_Horlyck,

Thanks for reaching out to us here, can you please verify if the behavior is the same if you bypass the Cisco Switch?

Since this switch appears to be a managed switch, we have sometimes seen these kinds of switches need special settings applied to properly work with Roon, as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices and it would be best if we can narrow down the issue to just one piece of hardware and we can then troubleshoot this further.

Also, does this behavior occur for all types of content, including TIDAL/Qobuz streaming content, or just local content? Does this behavior seem to be occurring only with higher-resolution content or does 44.1/16 content behave in the same way?

At first I didn’t use the Cisco switch, and the LSX was on wifi only. The behaviour is the same on Tidal, Qobuz, and local files.

Hi @Thomas_Horlyck,

Thank you for confirming that aspect. I am wondering, do the KEF speakers display any similar behavior on the KEF Stream app or is this just Roon that is impacted by this behavior?

Also, in the past I have noticed that a factory reset of the KEF speakers sometimes help with similar behavior. I would give this a try as well.

Hi Noris,

I tried to install Roon on a different laptop (Dell XPS15), and the streaming to KEF LSX works fine. I suspect that the problem on the Lenovo is caused by the cloud security software ZScaler. I have had problems before on the Lenovo with Tidal and Qobuz, both with their native apps as well as their browser based versions, and in all cases the ZScaler seemed to be the cause. Sorry this didn’t occur to me before now!
I consider my problem solved. Thanks for your time spent on help and input.

Best regards
Thomas

Hi @Thomas_Horlyck,

Thank you for the update here and glad to hear that you managed to narrow down the issue to the ZScalar software! I will go ahead and mark this thread as [Solved] as you requested, if you have any other issues in the future please feel free to reach out to us again. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.